Title: Buffer Overrun In RPCSS Service Could Allow Code Execution (824146)
Date: September 10, 2003
Software: Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0; Microsoft Windows NT
Server 4.0; Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition;
Microsoft Windows 2000; Microsoft Windows XP; Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Impact: Run code of attackers choice
Maximum Severity Rating: Critical
Bulletin: MS03-039

The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-039

What Is It?
The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security
Bulletin MS03-039 which concerns a vulnerability in the versions of
Microsoft Windows listed above.
Microsoft has released a tool that can be used to scan a network for the
presence of systems which have not had the MS03-039 patch installed. More
details on this tool are available in Microsoft Knowledge Base article
827363. This tool supersedes the one provided in Microsoft Knowledge Base
article 826369 which was developed to scan systems for the vulnerability
patched by MS03-026.
More information is now available at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp

In an effort to better communicate with our customers, Microsoft will also
be conducting a Webcast to provide guidance on Protecting Your PC and
details of MS03-039.
http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/upcoming/2373.asp
If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after
reading the above listed bulletin you should contact Product Support
Services in the United States at 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338).
International customers should contact their local subsidiary.

Mike Mueller

What do you mean finally? You weren't affeted by msblast
either...

: :: Finally! I have a reason to be happy my computer has
:: Windows ME! <g>
:
: That makes two of us! Sometimes..It Pays To Get ME! ;-))
:
: Jan :)
::
:: Cheers!
:: Fred Boer
::
::
:: "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <[email protected]>
:: wrote in message
:: ::: Please note: Windows ME and Windows 9.x systems are not
::: affected by this!
:::
::: Title: Buffer Overrun In RPCSS Service Could Allow Code
::: Execution (824146) Date: September 10, 2003
[...]
::: --
::: Regards,
:::
::: Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
::: Microsoft IT Communities
:::
::: Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
:::
:::
::: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
::: and confers no rights.

Fred Boer

Of all the versions of Windows I have used, I have had the most trouble by
far with Windows ME, which happens to be the version on my home computer. I
was facetiously suggesting that this immunity to the blaster worm was the
first positive thing I had ever found to say about Windows ME. It was just a
feeble attempt at a joke...

Fred

P.S. Could this be why my family and friends are constantly urging me to
stop trying to be funny?? <g>

:: wrote in message
[...]

Jan Il

Hi Mike!

Mike Mueller said:
What do you mean finally? You weren't affeted by msblast
either...

Nope, seems that WinME and a couple other versions are not affected by the
majority of the nasties now being dumped into the ether world, because they
don't run the RPC service which is what is attacked by MSBlaster.. ;-))

However, unlike Fred, I have to admit that I've had WinME since I got my
computer in 2000 (it came with), and until I upgraded to Office 2002 XP in
June this year, I never had more than an occasional hiccup with it. Most
were due to problems trying to install updates, and once to the loose
nut behind the wheel'...'k...maybe twice. But, since then, I've had some of
the weirdest and near electronically fatal events of the worst kind, yet,
none due to virus or worm infestation. Although, I haven't been able to
determine which category 'HAL' fits in yet. ??

Seems some people have a jaundiced opinion about WinME, and, giving the
benefit of their machines and programs, maybe justifiably. Something's
aren't
compatible with XP either. :)

Jan :)
:: wrote in message
[...]

Now Fred...don't you dare listen..what would we do without your great
sense of humor to lighten things up and give us a good laugh? ;-))

Jan :)