[OT]: PC Utilities Plus+

Adam Leinss

I was in Barnes and Noble today and saw a magazine called PC Utilities.
It's a magazine from the UK. I paged through it and I was impressed.
They go through reviews of lots of freeware/shareware programs. I also
picked up the PC Utilites Plus+ magazine with a DVD. The DVD has 3328
programs! The magazine lists all of the programs on the DVD and has
some reviews. The CD even has a text search utility so you can pop the
DVD in and search for specific keywords. Pretty neat.

Now for the bad it's $11/magazine! I guess the exchange rate is
$1 USD = $1.73 BP. I also found two mistakes where the DVD/magazine
flagged Handy Backup as freeware, but it's really trialware.
Backup4all is also tagged as freeware, but it's trialware.

Still, it's not a bad deal. I also like how they have very few ads in
this magazine. You pick up a copy of PC World for $6 and at least half
of it is ads. Any else reading this magazine?

Adam

Steven Burn

Still, it's not a bad deal. I also like how they have very few ads in
this magazine. You pick up a copy of PC World for $6 and at least half
of it is ads. Any else reading this magazine?

Adam

I used to read the magazines, but haven't been able to afford them for
several months now (since I had to purchase more hosting for my software
lol). Thankfully I'm not missing much (I hear PC Answers have stopped doing
the freeware CD's and are now doing share/trialware CD's instead).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

olfart

Adam Leinss said:
[...]

the mag is advertised on their website for 4.99 BP

Cookie

[...]

I have been getting PC Utilities since about issue 19. A friend in
Australia buys me a copy and sends them every few months. I like it
for
the cover disks. Saves a lot of time downloading, plus a lot of times
you are able to get the last freeware version of a program. They just
started adding full versions of programs to the CD's as well now.

The DVD's have a lot of stuff I'm not interested in, like
screensavers,ebooks. I usually pass those on to family members that
are
interested. The first DVD was kind of a pain. It was burnt on both
sides. AFAIK they changed that in the following version.

I used a Advanced Disk Catalog (a shareware program) and keep a
database
of all the cover disks. This way I can search for file names when I am
looking for a program.

If you think the price is abit much you might want to go to their
website http://www.livepublishing.co.uk/content/pcutilities.shtml and
check out thier live downloads service http://www.livedownloads.co.uk

"Membership entitles you to unlimited access to our utilities download
area. Option 1: £1.99 a month.
Option 2: £19.99 a year "

That's like $4 a month for unlimited access. If you have DSL you can
download a LOT of programs in a month and burn them to a CD.

Steven Burn

LMFAO!....... pay to download?..........I don't think so (I'd rather be
castrated).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

CHarneyCHRIS

Subject: [OT]: PC Utilities Plus+
From: Adam Leinss (e-mail address removed)
Date: 7/12/2003 4:05 PM E. Australia Standard Time

[...]

yes,i buy a copy every few months,i have never seen a dvd on the cover,its
normally a cd , you can download some of the software from their website,if all
you want is software and a quick tutorial about how to use it then magazine is
for you.

pcboardsbbs

Adam Leinss wrote:

<snip>

yep, its here in weymouth, UK and read almost every issue.

Also got all the freeware stuff on a huge drive ready to point my
peer2peer software at !!!!

i also run a ftp server here if anyone wants some stuff.

pay for download? no way. Freeware is freeware after all.

regards,
tim

Steven Burn

I know how to access FTP......just don't have any of the details to access
it :blush:(

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

A man

I was in Barnes and Noble today and saw a magazine called PC Utilities.
It's a magazine from the UK. I paged through it and I was impressed.
They go through reviews of lots of freeware/shareware programs. I also
picked up the PC Utilites Plus+ magazine with a DVD. The DVD has 3328
programs! The magazine lists all of the programs on the DVD and has
some reviews. The CD even has a text search utility so you can pop the
DVD in and search for specific keywords. Pretty neat.

Now for the bad it's $11/magazine! I guess the exchange rate is
$1 USD = $1.73 BP. I also found two mistakes where the DVD/magazine
flagged Handy Backup as freeware, but it's really trialware.
Backup4all is also tagged as freeware, but it's trialware.

Not bad for 3300+ utilities (only 2 mistakes you found).
Still, it's not a bad deal. I also like how they have very few ads in

Which is why it's $11.
this magazine. You pick up a copy of PC World for $6 and at least half
of it is ads. Any else reading this magazine?
I get PC World and I like it even though it has a lot of ads.

--
Freezone Freeware: 1200+ applications
http://chuckr.bravepages.com