OS or Third Party?

G

I have a Compaq laptop (XP Home OS) with a DLink PCMCIA wireless adapter connecting to my DLink router just fine. If I remove the PCMCIA adapter and try to connect to the router with a DLink USB wireless adapter I can't access the internet nor see the shared files on another PC in the network (desktop Win2K connected to the router via ethernet cable). WZC sees the available network and asks if I want to connect, but seemingly never does (although the dialog box says "connected to "networkname"/signal excellent.) Are there any suggestions of where I may need to change settings in Windows? If I disable WZC in services, uncheck "Use Windows to configure my wireless network" in Network Places and use Boingo to attempt connection, I essentially get the same thing (shows wireless signal available and then a display of "connected" with excellent strength but no interaction). Any ideas?

G

So much for email address/username munging...quick to admonish but if you don't like the munged format (probably the use of "anonymous") it brandishes the sender as unanswerable.

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

I have a Compaq laptop (XP Home OS) with a DLink PCMCIA wireless adapter connecting to my DLink router just fine. If I remove the PCMCIA adapter and try to connect to the router with a DLink USB wireless adapter I can't access the internet nor see the shared files on another PC in the network (desktop Win2K connected to the router via ethernet cable). WZC sees the available network and asks if I want to connect, but seemingly never does (although the dialog box says "connected to "networkname"/signal excellent.) Are there any suggestions of where I may need to change settings in Windows? If I disable WZC in services, uncheck "Use Windows to configure my wireless network" in Network Places and use Boingo to attempt connection, I essentially get the same thing (shows wireless signal available and then a display of "connected" with excellent strength but no interaction). Any ideas?

Make sure that the encryption settings on the USB wireless connection
match the settings on the wireless router.

Have you enabled MAC address filtering on the router? If so, add the
USB wireless adapter's MAC address to the allowed list.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Ask a Question