Orange PASYG phone.

Reaction score

I`m with Orange and I pay as you go.
The other day I got a letter from them offering me broadband for £5 per month,and that`s half price! It comes with:
A "Bright box" wireless router.
A year`s McAfee antivirus plus.
No connection fee.
Line rental at just £13.50 a month,cheaper than BT.
Inclusive UK off peak calls.
12 month contract.
I`d like to ask is this a good offer?
What is the opinion of PC reviewers.
Many thanks,
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I loathe Orange, they treated my daughter despicably, reduced her to tears, it took me phoning them and bending some idiot a new earhole to put things right. At the same time I cancelled my eight year contract with them to make my point even further.

But apart from that, let's have a look.

Is the £5 a month permanent or for an initial period only? Bandwidth limit monthly? Throttling? Download maximum speed? Web space? Help line in India? Just a few things to think about.

How are you receiving Internet at the moment? You may already have a router. Whatever, a router should not be considered an advantage when signing a contract, they're cheap, typically £30.

McAfee is rubbish, worthless, you're actually better off without it.

I'm with Zen, they're not cheap, but they only charge me £11.47 a month line rental. £13.50 a month is not cheap.

No it's not a good offer, it's much the same as dozens of others out there.

Look up Be, they do a good deal.

Who are you with at the moment and how much do you pay?

Please, before you commit, let folk here advise, may save you a lot of disappointment.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
what you are being offered, IMHO, is a std introductory offer, that will increase after the intro period is over, and it'll only be a basic pack.

It's not half price, but there is a £10 "package", the line rentals are "cheaper" than BT, but you will still need a BT line, MCrappy is a virus, "Network management is where we prioritise certain types of time-sensitive internet traffic, like online gaming, over less time-sensitive traffic (like file sharing) particularly at busy times (6pm to 11:30pm on weekdays, 5pm to 11:30pm on weekends)" Speeds vary depending on line quality and distance from the exchange.

I cannot "see" if they using their own "equipment" or BT's

I been looking at them all, and I'm staying where I am, and it's not £5 a month. :)

Reaction score
I'm currently paying 22.50 a month BB only with Virgin

But and a big BUT

I was on 10meg a month ago but rang and complained I was paying same price as a 30mb customer, They upgraded me to 60meg with a 2years price promise at the above

I also get a free upgrade too 100meg, end of this or beginning of next year.

MY price will be an extra £5 when I do £27.50... (after the initial 2years)
Remember 100meg connection though for 22.50 :D

But I share my connection with my flat mate. So 50/50 is all good :D

At present I get 5MB - 8.5MB DL (throttled too 3.5MB busy periods)

Only 300KB up at present. going too 700KBish (could be higher) when all upgrades completed

Reaction score
Many thanks for your advice chaps.
I`m with AOL with which I`m quite pleased with,but the Orange offer seemed good.
I pay around £24-£26 per month,with AOL, which includes the `phone. I get 10gb per month.And yes their help line is in India.But every time I need them they are very helpful.
Any way,thanks again for the advice---and I`ll not bother.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
AOL actually aren't too bad, my Mum was with them when she was online and I was on dialup with them for around seven years.

What you're paying is about average if it includes a phone line and unless you're heavily into downloading oodles of films and music you're unlikely to exceed 10Gb a month.

You could probably save a few pounds a month changing ISP but sometimes the devil you know is the best thing.

My sister, incidentally, was paying £15 a month to AOL for Broadband and when she asked to leave they reduced it to £10 if she'd stay with them. So she did. Food for thought.

Ask a Question