Oracle Provider

G

Hello, I have been having problems with connecting to Oracle and I am wondering if it might possibly be the drivers that I am using. I believe I had a number of people tell me that they did not have any luck with the Oracle OLEDB Provider, that they used instead the Microsoft OLEDB Drivers for Oracle

My problem is that I create an connection object, which succeeds. When I then go to open the connection I get an "object not set to an instance". This is no happening consistently, sometimes it works perfectly time after time, but then all of the sudden, I get a consistent error and then it will clear up again. I am trying to figure out if this is a problem in my application or possibly something wrong with the "providers" or possibly it is some problem in Oracle

When I attempted to use the IDE to create a Microsoft OLEDB Connection to Oracle, I can not get it to connect using the same parameters that I used for the ORacle OLEDB. When I do this, I get the error that is could not resolve the TNS names. Does the Microsoft OLEDB require a different format then the ORacle OLEDB

Any insight you might have as to what I should be looking for, would be greatly appreciated!!!!

P

Paul Clement

¤ Hello, I have been having problems with connecting to Oracle and I am wondering if it might possibly be the drivers that I am using. I believe I had a number of people tell me that they did not have any luck with the Oracle OLEDB Provider, that they used instead the Microsoft OLEDB Drivers for Oracle.
¤
¤ My problem is that I create an connection object, which succeeds. When I then go to open the connection I get an "object not set to an instance". This is no happening consistently, sometimes it works perfectly time after time, but then all of the sudden, I get a consistent error and then it will clear up again. I am trying to figure out if this is a problem in my application or possibly something wrong with the "providers" or possibly it is some problem in Oracle.
¤
¤ When I attempted to use the IDE to create a Microsoft OLEDB Connection to Oracle, I can not get it to connect using the same parameters that I used for the ORacle OLEDB. When I do this, I get the error that is could not resolve the TNS names. Does the Microsoft OLEDB require a different format then the ORacle OLEDB?
¤
¤ Any insight you might have as to what I should be looking for, would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Might help to post some code and also indicate whether this is an ASP.NET app.

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Ask a Question