OPK - reseal problem

I have used a laptop to deploy various applications from Microsoft and
others. Since this PC is technically available for sale. I have neglected
activating this copy, and continually regen the system by utilizing sysprep
-factory. This allows me to audit the system for 30 days before I reseal.
Occasionally I need to go into "Safe Mode" to regen the OS, and bring the
system back to factory.

Now, the question.
After doing this a few times, the system says that I have exceeded the
number of regen's and the OS will not allow me to reseal, nor audit the pc.
I activate the liscense, and each time I reboot, I receive the
"factory/audit" notification and cannot reseal nor regen. Other than
re-installing and reactivating, whatelse can I do? Is this a SP2 issue?
since I had originally began this process with XP Pro SP1a, and have
successfully downloaded and installed SP2? PLEASE ADVISE!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Unsupported Sysprep scenarios
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828287

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I have used a laptop to deploy various applications from Microsoft and
| others. Since this PC is technically available for sale. I have neglected
| activating this copy, and continually regen the system by utilizing sysprep
| -factory. This allows me to audit the system for 30 days before I reseal.
| Occasionally I need to go into "Safe Mode" to regen the OS, and bring the
| system back to factory.
|
| Now, the question.
| After doing this a few times, the system says that I have exceeded the
| number of regen's and the OS will not allow me to reseal, nor audit the pc.
| I activate the liscense, and each time I reboot, I receive the
| "factory/audit" notification and cannot reseal nor regen. Other than
| re-installing and reactivating, whatelse can I do? Is this a SP2 issue?
| since I had originally began this process with XP Pro SP1a, and have
| successfully downloaded and installed SP2? PLEASE ADVISE!

Ok Carey, so I have a non supported issue, and Microsoft suggests what?
I am NOT trying to deploy multiple copies. I am trying to make THIS copy
usable and salable without "REACTIVATING" everytime between boots. Seems
that the Activation Key algorithym is corrupt. I am trying to "Reseal"
that's all, to allow the consumer to activate. Even if I activate on my
customer's behest (which is also against Microsoft's OOBE Welcome policy) the
OS continues to tell me that the number of regen's is exceeded...duh! and I
cannot figure out how to 1) audit 2) reseal 3) regen factory 4) some other?

Question: Will I be more successful if I Sysprep -reseal using the OPK from
SP2???

Please offer a direction, and NOT a flipant twixt to go to your "bloody
website" to inform me of all the ways that Microsoft doesn't support my
behavior and practices.
Thanks for a courteous reply!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You are limited to resetting the activation grace period three times:
From the help file located in the deploy.cab in the support folder on the
CD.
Activation for OEM or Retail Media
Most customers can easily manage activation after receiving their
computers. But if you prefer, you can activate the software on behalf of
your customers, making it easier for them to start using their new
computers, and adding significant value to your service. After activation
is completed, most users never have to activate their installation again.

You cannot make an image of an activated Windows installation and duplicate
that image to another computer. If you do, Windows fails to recognize the
activation and forces the end user to reactivate the installation manually.

To activate Windows for your customer, prepopulate the ProductKey entry
with the product key from the certificate of authenticity (COA) label that
is affixed to the specific computer, and activate the computer on behalf of
the end user. Then run sysprep -reseal to shut the computer down.

To preserve a successful activation of the installation, you must run
Sysprep with the -activated command-line option. For example:

sysprep -activated -reseal
If you do not run Sysprep with the -activated option, Sysprep removes these
activation settings and resets the clock on WPA.

The clock for WPA begins its countdown the first time Windows XP starts.
You can use Sysprep for a maximum of three times to reset the clock for
WPA. After the third time you run Sysprep, the clock can no longer be reset.

Limiting the Number of Sysprep Reseals
You can create a master installation, run sysprep -reseal on it, create an
image of that installation, and then safely store that image for more than
30 days. The 30-day countdown for Windows Product Activation does not begin
until the next time the operating system starts.
If you do not want to reset the clock, or if you want to preserve settings
while running Sysprep on an installation that is already activated, use the
-activated command-line option. For example, type:
sysprep -activated -reseal
By using the command sysprep -activated, you can avoid resetting the grace
period for activation. This requires that the system be preactivated in the
factory.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "=?Utf-8?B?c3N0YXJza3lAY29tY2FzdC5uZXQ=?="

Thanks Darrell for the clarification, I am sure that your suggestions will
work!
I am pleased that you find it a "value add", as I do, to upload all of the
security, spyware, bug fixes, and antivirus updates, prior to my clients
receiving my Intel Whitebook laptops. Preactivating for a client is am
advantage from their concern, but I was afraid of violating the EULA with
Microsoft. I now have a solution that works for all parties! Bravo!!
Thanks again for your guidance and assistance.
Scott Starsky
Star Enterprises, Inc.
System Builder
Boulder, Colorado
(e-mail address removed)

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
You are limited to resetting the activation grace period three times:
From the help file located in the deploy.cab in the support folder on the