Operating System Not Found

On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up and
then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys work
nor I can start it in safe mode.

I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

Roger That.. I just read the question and the instructions. Its a long night
ahead I guess....

Thanks a bunch.

Gary

Did you try disconnecting and re-connecting the hard drive cables?
Does your BIOS see a hard drive?

"Operating System Not Found" <Operating System Not
news:[email protected]...

In the BIOS Setup utility screen, where do i see my harddrive listed. It has
Main, Advanced, Security, Power, Boot, Exit Menus.

I could not find Standard CMOS Setup.

Gary

I suppose it may not be in all bios'...but some have the IDE devices listed.
And I suppose where depends on who's bios you're using.

"Operating System Not Found"

Steve N.

Operating said:
On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up and
then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys work
nor I can start it in safe mode.

I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

Is there a diskette in the floppy drive?

Steve

Lil' Dave

The message means that the boot device was found, but the boot files were
unable to be located. The boot sector was found.
Could be a non-bootable floppy set to boot.
Could be a damaged primary, active partition boot record.
Solution is obvious when using the Repar Console on the XP install CD if the
latter.