opens downloads without giving dialog to save

I accidently unchecked the box on the download dialog box that says 'Always
ask me before opening this type of file. I usually only download .zip files
and .rar files. I want to be able to save the file to a folder and then
extract it where I want to. Now when I click on a link to download a file it
automatically opens WinRAR. HELP!!! :)

PS I have WindowsXP and Service pack 2

Don Varnau

Hi,
You have to set this option for each file type.

From Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder options> File types
OR
Ctrl Panel> Folder options then File Types. Select [file type]> Advanced.
Put a check by "Confirm open after download."
You should then get the "Open or Save" dialog for each download.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don,

That did it!! Thank you so much for your help!

:) Lisa

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
You have to set this option for each file type.

From Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder options> File types

Lisa said:
I accidently unchecked the box on the download dialog box that says 'Always
ask me before opening this type of file. I usually only download .zip files
and .rar files. I want to be able to save the file to a folder and then
extract it where I want to. Now when I click on a link to download a file it
automatically opens WinRAR. HELP!!! :)

PS I have WindowsXP and Service pack 2

Don Varnau

You're welcome! Thanks for reporting back.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Lisa said:
Don,

That did it!! Thank you so much for your help!

:) Lisa
You have to set this option for each file type.

From Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder options> File types