Only in the U.S.A ,crazy laws

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I read about this over at Hardforums - its crazy! I dont think it will pass though (I hope!)

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ian Cunningham
I read about this over at Hardforums - its crazy! I dont think it will pass though (I hope!)

I know ,but why even bring something like that up ,if it does pass ,I'm going to Canada ,or the U.K. ;)

wildone

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can just imagine it - black market PC building! :eek:

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ian Cunningham
I can just imagine it - black market PC building! :eek:

LOL thats bad,they want you to run some type of spyware more or less ,and if you disable it in anyway up to 5 years in prison and a 500,000 fine,but if you disable the spyware ,hows it gonna tell on you?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good point! Spyware on the spyware!

Reaction score
Well it would not only affect us on this side of the Pond but you blokes as well. As most of the tech research is done here and this bill would kill it. generally a bad deal all the way around.

When AMD, Intel, Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and others all band together and say "hell no" or "over our dead bodies" than you know it will never pass but it raises other questions. What kind of jacked up government do we have over here in the States that would even consider such a law.

anyhooooo..........................

BTW, not a bad place ya all got round here Ian and Mucks. :spin: Keep up the good work. :bow:

TheHeretic

Reaction score
I have to agree that this is one silly proposed law that isn’t going to pass. What intrigues me though, is whether there will be any fallout from this proposed legislation. This could possibly weaken the recording industries stance on a number of issues when the dust settles . . .

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Originally posted by case
I have to agree that this is one silly proposed law that isn’t going to pass. What intrigues me though, is whether there will be any fallout from this proposed legislation. This could possibly weaken the recording industries stance on a number of issues when the dust settles . . .

Speaking of record companies ,let me tell you how smart they are ,they are suppose to have some kind of protection on certain cd's to keep it from being saved in mp3 format and to reduce the piracy of music.The very first cd they used this technology on was released across sea's somewhere and was on the net before you could buy it here.But get this ,the only place they had this protection was in the U.S. releases, LOL,I mean they have to be smart to only release the copyright protection in the U.S. ,looks like they would have thought about the World Wide Web .

Reaction score
Do you think following device is legal?
http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html

I have this one for about 2 years. It is working fine and I do not fill I'm doing a crime making copies of my OWN DVD and VHS. I think preventing me from been able to copy DVD I've purchased and especially VHS ( considering they are loosing quality with time ) is in turn illigal.

tek

Reaction score
Its not illegal to to make copies of cds or dvds that you own. What I've been reading lately is that companies are being targeted for making it possible to create warez etc. Although alot of software is created for legitimate purposes, they are being exploited for piracy. One analogy I read was, "if I was caught speeding, could I blame the car manufacturer for making the car faster enough to speed?" the answer is obvious, but not so clear in the IT industry. hrm, should be interesting to see where this goes.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
And you wonder who comes up with these ideas, its a terrible idea

Reaction score
wildone said:
LOL thats bad,they want you to run some type of spyware more or less ,and if you disable it in anyway up to 5 years in prison and a 500,000 fine,but if you disable the spyware ,hows it gonna tell on you?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

While not obvious, there are many ways to do things such as this...

This bill covers "All Electronic Equipment". I would imagine, this software would send a Heartbeat about 1-2 times a day that would possibly log things such as "External Internet IP Changes" and such.

Next, something like carnivore would have to be put in place (these *******ly internet-gateway machines that would filter all traffic between my DSL modem and current gateway.)

Take a list of IP's from the carnivore servers, minus the IP's in the heartbeat servers, and you now have a complete list of IP's that 'did not heartbeat'. Hmm, you now have a complete list of the internet provider it came from. Hmm, you now have a complete list of the physical port number it came from. Hmm, you now have a list of the login ID that was assigned to that port. And now the name, address, phone number, etcetcetcetc.

If they had information like that, imagine what they could do with it?

Even without carnivore, they could still log IP's in many ways (i.e. collecting them from torrent servers, web servers, routers they've setup as main 'paths' between points.

Gates can't do this, because every IP isn't always a Widnows, and the data he could obtain wouldn't be anything close to an 'actual' list (probably 95% incorrect).

*cringes* at the words "All Electronic Equipment"

Last edited:

Ask a Question