One More Vista Beta Release Before RTM

Intel Inside

Sanity prevails at MS.
I have been suggesting/promoting this idea for weeks because there was no
way RC1 or RC1-interim were close enough to RTM.

Clark

Something I don't understand is 5600 would run my modem just fine. 5728
blue screened on the driver. Why would an interim release have more driver
problems that a previous version? Was 5728 and earlier build with just a
few things changed or an improvement on 5600. The modem.sys file was
different in the two builds, which is what I am assuming caused the Blue
Screen. I submitted the problem, so maybe MS will take care of it.

Another question, I guess, of all the folks that tried 5728, are they
expected to go back to 5600 or keep running 5728? If I want my modem to
work, I will have to regress. The funny thing about it is, before I would
have replaced the modem.sys file with the one from 5600, but now I can't do
that because it appears Windows will not use the file unless it is owned by
the TrustedInstaller, which I can't seem to give ownership to.

Clark

Intel Inside

"Why would an interim release have more driver > problems that a previous
version?"
Sometimes development occurs on many streams simultaneously with the
intention of merging them into the final 'river'.
In the case of 5728, several bugs were found that were not in 5600, so it
appears that an earlier development stage of the main stream was used to
merge with one or more of the streams that required testing.
This will have been noted by MS by now, and hopefully will not occur in the
next pre-RTM (RC2?) release.

Chad Harris

Glad to give you the explanation. Just because a build is newer in Beta,
doesn't mean that accross the board, uniformly and consistently every
feature and component in it is improved or that some won't have problems
that *didn't in a previous build. Sometimes they will make a build for a
specific few reasons, and find out that other things that worked don't in
the newer build. You just theoretically bug what you see.

See and read from Ed Bott's excellent blog:

Vista Build 5728: Caveat Testor
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1475

CH

BChat

I had better luck/results with 5600 than I am with 5728
scanner worked - sound worked properly - good explanation Chad.
Betaville is a strange land for sure..................but fun :)