One for you vinyl audiophiles

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
"A demonstration of the limited edition Holographic Vinyl Soundtrack to Star Wars The Force Awakens" ... which actually looks pretty cool. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I still have quite a few vinyl LPs from years gone by but no apparatus on which to play them. The music all ended up on CDs and more recently on a memory stick.

Maybe they will be worth something one day. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Very nice but how soon will one become bored with the novelty? And orchestral soundtracks by John Williams don't appeal to me personally so I'll pass ;)

Vinyl isn't making a comeback - it's made a comeback. Just a few years back bargains could be had but now the record companies have realised people will pay decent money for vinyl and I think they're taking the mick with some prices.

And prices of original vinyl releases have at least doubled in the past few years. I wish vinyl would go back to being unwanted, lol

For instance a 4 LP David Bowie set of him playing live at the BBC around 40-odd years ago for £60? Get outta here.

The Travelling Wilburys 'Box Set' which is just the 2 original LP's plus a 12" single with half a dozen single b-sides and remixes for £95? I still have the two original LP's and I recorded the single b-sides to FLAC a long time ago.

Turntable recommendations? I could ramble on at great length but if you want to buy new don't buy a cheap and nasty offering and avoid those with USB interfaces. Any of the offerings from Pro-Ject you can't go wrong with.

I have three turntables at the moment, all rebuilt from seventies original models, one Garrard 401 and a pair of Lenco L75's, all idler wheel drive models.

Reaction score
Still enjoying my Sony Technics SL 7, bought back when that we a new hot item, and still going. Yes, the prices of new vinyl are a bit extreme. We bought a couple a while back, before they skyrocketed. At 70, I'm not sure my ears can detect the difference any more between the CD and the vinyl, so I'm not going to worry about buying more particularly. I do, though, have my 4 or 5 hundred albums from across 60 years, so we will continue to enjoy those. I suppose that if they issue the Zino Francescatti Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto on vinyl I would absolutely have to go for that. Enjoy, all!

Ask a Question