Old drive disappeared

T

Tcs

I'm trying to move to a new Gateway computer. On my old computer (also a Gateway), I had two hard
drives (both ide). The second drive I had added myself. The OS (XP) was on drive 0, and most all
my stuff was on drive 1.

I moved my drive to my new computer. Because the existing drive with the OS is SATA, there's only
one IDE connector, used for the optical drive. But since my old drive I'm moving is also IDE, I've
had to temporarily disconnect my optical drive, in favor of my transferred drive. And this worked.
Until, that is...

I tried changing the drive letter designation of my transferred drive. My old system was:

physical drive 0
1 partition (C:) (OS)

physical drive 1
1 partition (D:) (my data)

The new PC came as:

physical drive 0
2 partitions (C:) (OS), (D:) ("RECOVERY")

So my transferred drive was going to be drive "E:". I thought that I wanted to change this. So I
did (to drive F:), in Disk Management. Now I can't see the drive AT ALL. In fact, it does NOT EVEN
SHOW UP in Disk Management any more. But it's there. The system (BIOS) can see it.

What did I do to screw it up? Better yet, what can I do to GET IT BACK?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

R

Rich Barry

Try disconnecting ( white power connector ) the old drive and startup the
computer. Restart and shutdown. Reconnect the old drive. Let XP reinstall
it.

P

pickluh

If you have an open PCI slot i would suggest an IDE controller card.
That would give you 2 openings for IDE drives.

Ask a Question