Old 486 as a KazaA download-machine

T

Technician

Just want to let everybody know that an old 486 desktop can serve as a KazaA downloader. The very reason I choose this machine (I
have more powerfull machines around here) is that it is a very quit and I assume low energy-consuming machine ( 145 Watt PS ).
Hardware-specs are:

- Dell desktop (Optiplex ?) with 3 ISA-slots, no PCI
- 14" CRT
- 500 MB HD
- 64 MB FP RAM
- Creative Labs soundcard, two unamplified (one euro) speakers connected to it
- 100 MHz 486, 5 volt 33 MHz bus
- 3COM 100 Mbps NIC (yes, 100 Mbps, a 3C515 )
- diskette and CD-ROM
- ATI videocard because the build-in went broke
- ADSL 712/256 connection through a router

Installed Win 98 SE as bare as possible. Takes about 200 MB. And installed KazaA-lite. No firewall.

Okay, I admit performance is not great. Video output is sluggish and playing MP3's is a bit problematic. I upgraded to Windows Media
Player 6.4. The first time I played MP3 the sound was terribly distorted. But I only needed to play to control if the MP3's are
okay. When they are okay I transfer the files to another machine and burn them. The solution for the problem was to alter the "MPEG
Layer-3 Decoder"-settings. Go to View -> Settings -> MPEG Layer-3 Decoder -> Quality : Frequentie --- Quarter, CPU Type --- 80486
Class. With these settings playback is flawless as long as the WMP-window is in the foreground. Regrettably you have to change these
settings everytime you play a MP3. Somebody knows a solution? Maybe a registry-setting?

Of course, 200 MB (100 MB free, just to make sure Windows doesn't crash) isn't much to download. But for me it's enough for one
night. Sometimes speeds drop to 90 Bytes/second and then it takes a long time to download a 60 MB file.

A few tips for those who want to do the same. If you're handy take the fans (PS and processor) out and oil them. Drill extra holes
in the case opposite to the air-exhaust-opening for extra ventilation.

If this computer breaks down or gets infected or whatever what, I don't mind because all my important stuff is on other pc's. Enjoy!

K

kony

Just want to let everybody know that an old 486 desktop can serve as a

<snip>

Certainly it can if the tasks are optimized for low-overhead, but as
old as 486 boxes are there's the reliablility factor to consider...
People are throwing away 400Mhz systems these days, which likley have
a few more years of life left in them, are quite a bit faster, and
still relatively cool-running, especially if underclocked.

Possibly the best choice for such a system would be a P3 667MHz, which
having 133Mhz FSB would be optimal for onboard video, or might even be
underclocked to 100MHz FSB, @ 500Mhz, could run with passive heatsink
providing there is good chassis airflow.

Dave

Ask a Question