OL2007 Appointments not connected to Contact?

All,
I teach elementary school and have started to use OL2007 (B2) to: manage
contact with families, communicate with colleagues, and perform all the other
kinds of contact management. I am also using OneNote. Unfortunately we use
Notes at work so I don't operate through an Exchange server.

I have used a lot of contact management software throughout the last few
years: ACT, FileMaker (rolled my own) older versions of Outlook, Palm,
Iambic, all kinds of Mac SW before that.

I am trying to understand the way OL2007 can connect an appointment to a
contact. First I had trouble finding "make an appointment" but I placed the
command on the QAT tool bar. However, the diary entry this creates is not
linked (AFAIK) to the contact record I was "in" when I told OL to schedule an
appointment. The appointment block in the Calendar shows no [contact] name.
If I click on it will open a memowith no name of a contact.

There is no detailed treatment of appointments in the documentation.

How can I see what appointments I have made with any particular client, or
parent? How can I see the name on the paper calendar?

I bet that clicking the button to send to OneNote can provide rudimentary
lists. I know that I could open a OL Journal everytime but that takes a lot
of time. How can I make better use of "Appointments"

Jonathan Rawle

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Hi Jonathan,

You want to do this: Tools, Options, Contact Options, check "show
contact linking on all forms". That should give you a Contacts bar at
the bottom of each appt, identical to Outlook 2003. Apparently this
feature wasn't used much in 2003, so it is now turned off by default.
Have you upgrade to B2TR already?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Jonathan" <jonathan7zerozero7(use numbers) at yahew dot usual domain>

Thanks, Patrick. No, I haven't tackled B2->B2TR yet because I have to wrap
the first quarter and finish report cards for the fifth graders before
anything else... especially something as major as shepherding that process
for all the Office components, OneNote, Visio, and the Sharepoint Designer
betas. Oh, yeah, and taxes for 2004. Yikes!

I know that I have to do it before October 25th or everything turns into
pumpkins, like Cinderella's carriage.

You don't happen to know a site or newsgroup that would be a good place to
hang out to learn Outlook tactics I could use as a teacher? I don't know the
Outlook culture yet, but I will. I miss the capabilities of ACT from my
salesperson days. (I may have to use Contact Manager extensions to Outlook, I
guess.) The real weak link in Outlook use -- for me -- at my school is the
lack of Exchange server backbone. It seems that Outlook wasn't really meant
to realize its full potential as an island.

Thanks, again.

Jonathan Rawle

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, again, Patrick. I wrote a longer reply but this Reply system
"encountered a problem" again and lost the post! (...been happening a lot. I
should learn to compose in ON and then paste.)

I'll do B2->B2TR when report cards are finished for the fifth graders and
taxes are filed and... there's just too much to do!

Jonathan Rawle

wrote in message
[...]

Something is messed up with the web interface. Your long post did go
through.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***

wrote in message
[...]

As long as you download the B2TR's for Office, Visio and SPD before
10/25, you'll be fine.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***