- Jul 11, 2010
- Reaction score
Top Seven Open Source Technologies Powering Facebook.
Facebook is one of the most popular and most visited website in the world. More than 1 billion people access Facebook across different platforms like web and devices each and every day.
With such a huge user base Facebook has to handle tonnes of data every minute.In order to handle such a huge amount of data, engineers at Facebook need to deal with many challenges to keep the site up and running.
Here is what Facebook looses if it gets shut down for a minute!
At the scale that Facebook operates, a lot of traditional approaches to serving web content break down or simply give up.
- For every 60 seconds nearly 2.46 million posts are being shared.
- 7 Million statuses are being updated.
- 400 GB of data is being uploaded to Facebook servers.
- 300,000 users are logged in and nearly 450 new accounts were being registered.
- Discussing about the revenue, Facebook earns nearly 25,000$ per minute.
Hence Facebook has to rely on several software technologies to play with huge piles of data. Even though Facebook is a technology giant, it depends on Open Source technology. The core of Facebook is built upon Open Source.
Last edited by a moderator: