OH NO.. first build problem!

Reaction score
Ok so basically ive just transfered all of my old hardware into a brand new case ( Jeantech all clear acrylic :D ) and baught a new psu tonight (Bog standard 400w but still its ok)

Plugged it into the Mb, hard disk and dvd drive just to see if it powered up ok.. and it doesnt..

Turned the power on and the fan spun for about 1 second until the pc died, i really dunno what the problem is. There are alot of funny cables coming from the power button however, and maybe ive placed them wrong, but i really dont think so

Since i basically have no money im bloody hoping somthing hasnt blown.. DIDNT hear any loud noises or anything but im **** scared to turn it on again :(.

If it helps... i used to have a 250w psu before i switched over..

You gotat help me on this ;s

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As you've already said - there are wires from the power button which need to be connected correctly to the mobo (and also the reset button, light indicators etc), consult your mobo manual and check they are the right way round and on the right headers (they should be marked on the mobo).

If necessary turn the power button connector the other way round and try - it won't do any harm :thumb:

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Turned the power on and the fan spun for about 1 second ...
This is a "short" somewhere ... though on a plastic case I no not where.

:confused:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
powerz said:
Turned the power on and the fan spun for about 1 second until the pc died
I confess that this happened to me on the last PC I built - it was the power button cable connector the wrong way round on the mobo....:blush:

Reaction score
Yah lol, i tryed that. turns out it does turn on, except display wont show, just black monitor, and thats all that happen. Thing is, i dont have the mobo documentayion, on my last case each individual cable was set into a plug, which as ok, but now they are all individual lol, so at leats it turns on. Dunno why i dont get a display though, but at least the dvd drive worked ok :)

If any1 can find documentation online or like a diagram of a mobo to tell me where each pin goes i would be grateful, its just odd i havnt really come across each indiviudal cable like this before. ever

Reaction score
dont panic

Is the monitor connected up to the graphics on the pc ok? check the cable is connected. Is it on-board grahics or an AGP card, if it's AGP check the card is seated ok? What cpu is it? what socket type?

If you can get on the net with another pc see if you can download a Motherboard manual from the makers website or do a google search for one. If not can you post what Motherboard it is so we know. Good Luck.:thumb:

Reaction score
feckit said:
Is the monitor connected up to the graphics on the pc ok? check the cable is connected. Is it on-board grahics or an AGP card, if it's AGP check the card is seated ok? What cpu is it? what socket type?

If you can get on the net with another pc see if you can download a Motherboard manual from the makers website or do a google search for one. If not can you post what Motherboard it is so we know. Good Luck.:thumb:

Lol i think ill need that so called good luck, once again. heres a clue - begins with SiS............................................

yeh exactly..................

sis651c or somthing, and yes im usin a celeron, everythin worked ok for me be4 i switched case. AND HELL NO IM NOT SWITCHING BACK.

Must be my graphics card.. ive seen this pdf of a intel Mobo tellin you what plugs go into what pins etc, which went toally tit up btw, half my leds dont work and my cd drive reads disk (even tho there isnt anything in), stop,s and repeats, over and over.

Reaction score
What is ****ing me off more then anything is the fact that ive had this **** mobo and done nothing about it and stuck with the old celeron crap aswell... All i wanted to do was switch to a nicer case and get a little more power into it for some lights, is that too hard to ask? apparently so

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
strip it down to the motherboard and put it all back, if it still doesn't work then remove it from the case and set it up on a table

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
strip it down to the motherboard and put it all back, if it still doesn't work then remove it from the case and set it up on a table

yah, already i took all the cables out of the cd drive,hard drive, and thats really all thats plugged into it. Figured out where most of the plugs go so now i have blue and red led's and my power button works but theres nowhere for a reset button or a 3 pin spkr plug?? :confused:

All that happens is it just powers on, a yellow light comes up on the cornor of the mobo and screen just stays on standby (normally just comes on) which led me to belive there was a problem on the graphics side of things, so i plugged the monitor cable int othe default plug on the mobo and same thing. so im abit confused. it takes 7 seconds to turn off by holdin the power plug in because it wont just auto shut off. When i was tuggin the fan out of the heatsink above the processer though i was tuggin it pretty hard, do you think maybe a few pins on the processer went with it? other then that i really dunno whats goin on but ill try assemblin just the mobo and power on a table>?;)

Ask a Question