offline folder question

Jason

Is it possible to move the client offline folder cache
away from (systemroot\CSC)?

Basically, I have a regular to small size C: partition and
a huge D: partition. So, I want the offline folder to
work with my D: partition.

Oh this question relates to both W2K pro and WxpPro.

Thanks.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Jason said:
Is it possible to move the client offline folder cache
away from (systemroot\CSC)?

Basically, I have a regular to small size C: partition and
a huge D: partition. So, I want the offline folder to
work with my D: partition.
Hi

To move it, you should use the tool cachemov.exe from the Win2k resource kit
(you need to buy it). Here is an applicable paragraph from MS TechNet:

Moving the Cache
The only way to safely move the hidden system folder (%systemroot%\CSC)
is by using the Offline Files Cache Mover (Cachemov.exe) tool available on
the Windows2000 Resource Kit companion CD. You can move the cache
database to another location on a fixed disk only.

How to Change the Location of Client-Side Cache in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216581

Here is a workaround if you don't have the cachemov utility:

From: Ryan Winland
Subject: Re: Changing offline files folder location on WinXP Pro
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Date: 2002-05-27 15:01:59 PST

<quote>
Hello:

The Resource Kit is not required to relocate the Client Side Cache folder.

If your Windows 2000 (or XP) partition is NTFS, try something like this:

1) Boot into Safe Mode and delete the contents of the CSC folder.

2) While still in Safe Mode, create a reparse point (junction) in the
%SystemRoot%\CSC folder and point it toward another partition or a folder in
another partition. Use the Logical Disk Manager (Computer
Management\Storage\Disk Management) to mount a partition or SysInternals
Junction
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction) to
mount a folder.

This works in Windows 2000, and should in Windows XP (I haven't tested it,
however).

Hope this helps.
Ryan Winland
</quote>