Office 2010 so slow opening attachments

Reaction score
I recently installed Office 2010 and quickly noticed that it takes much longer to open attachments in Outlook. The attachments are generally pdf files or Excel workbooks.

Any thoughts about why this is happening and how do I correct it?

Thanks!

Steve
:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Much longer than what? Office 2007?

How about just opening an Excel file from your PC (not an attachment) is that faster?

Reaction score
What you will want to do to start with is clear out the Outlook Secure Temp folder. The easiest way to do this is the following steps:
1. Open a PDF attachment from an email
2. Go to File | Properties
3. Go to the Description tab and Click on the Link for File Location
4. Close the PDF
5. In the folder that was opened up, press Ctrl + A to select everything
6. Press Shift + Delete to delete everything from the folder
7. Reboot the computer.

I'm typing this from memory, so some of the wording might not be exact. The reasoning behind this is that if you open attachments directly from email often, the secure temp folder will fill up and effect performance. The correct way to open attachments from email is to save them to a location and open them from there. Let me know how it works for you!

Reaction score
V_R,

It's taking about 2-3 minutes to open attachments. I'm not at my work computer so I'll check when I'm back in the office next week.

Steve

Reaction score
alow,

I'm not at my work computer right now so I'll try your suggestion next week when I'm back in the office.

Thanks!

Steve

Reaction score
The program responds slow due to less main memory (RAM) or a lot of temporary files have been stored. Office 2010 is a heavy software suite that is why taking some time to open.

Reaction score
Only 11 files found in Outlook Secure Temp folder so the below suggestion didn't help much. Still extremely slow opening attachments.

Any other thoughts?

Steve

What you will want to do to start with is clear out the Outlook Secure Temp folder. The easiest way to do this is the following steps:
1. Open a PDF attachment from an email
2. Go to File | Properties
3. Go to the Description tab and Click on the Link for File Location
4. Close the PDF
5. In the folder that was opened up, press Ctrl + A to select everything
6. Press Shift + Delete to delete everything from the folder
7. Reboot the computer.

I'm typing this from memory, so some of the wording might not be exact. The reasoning behind this is that if you open attachments directly from email often, the secure temp folder will fill up and effect performance. The correct way to open attachments from email is to save them to a location and open them from there. Let me know how it works for you!

Reaction score
Well i would suggest you to go for office 2007. The software installation and working depends on the RAM of system. If the RAM is 1 GB it will work good but it is 2GB it will run better. you can also try Disk Defragmentation, Disk clean up.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The system requirements for both Office 2007 and 2010 are almost exactly the same. 500Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM etc.

Having '07 or '10 would result in almost the same performance.

2007 -
http://www.microsoft.com/officebusiness/products/technical-requirements.aspx

2010 -
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/p...ice-2010-system-requirements-HA101810407.aspx

If anything i'd say maybe try a fresh install of the Office suit? What Addin's are you running? Tried outlook safe mode?

Also, Steve, You say its your work PC, now this maybe a dumb question, but have you tried talking to your sys admin if you have one? Would be quicker than going via an internet forum. :)

Ask a Question