Off into the wilds...

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Just running out the door heading to the Warbirds over Wanaka air display.
Wish me luck please :) Especially those of you who know why I might need it.
Luv ya :p
ciri

Reaction score
Spitfires, Hurricanes, may be a few fast jets, Dakotas and the good old chopper the Huey. Oh I love a good airshow, just wish I was their:D , but i'm not:(. Please report back Cirianz at what you saw, please:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Have a nice day.
happywave.gif

:D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Ciri, guess you will receive this when you get back, so I hope you HAD a good time (and a safe journey) :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Home safe :)

Well it was all very strange. Worse than I thought. I had thought that the journey was all I had to worry about & because the fear was irrational all I had to do was do it & it would all go away. I hadn't anticipated any problems at the actual airshow itself.

Sort of ironic I suppose, but after we had headed off i got out the map to Wanaka, it was all folded up, as maps generally are, but there was a lump in it so I unfolded it to find out what it was.
It was a chunk of windscreen glass from our last trip up to the Warbirds show. Creeped me out a bit.

But we got to the Airshow all safe & sound (thank you everyone) so i thought everything was going to be ok. It was awful & very creepy. The planes were great & when I could lose myself in their performances (& they were amazing) it was fantastic. But whenever I got distracted it would hit me right in the guts. This awareness that the last time all these people were here being amazed I was hanging in a car, more alone that I've ever been, in pain I can't ever describe. while john waited on the road for anyone to come past that he could flag down.
Waiting for the ambulance.
while the ambulance men tried to cut me out of the car.
John argueing with them to do it properly & take the top off the car.
He said "F*ck the car, Just get Debbie out properly!
Waiting in the ambulance for the helicopter to arrive (see I did get an airshow after all :p )
the storm blowing out of nowhere as the helicopter arrived
The pain
Waiting in A&E to find out what was happening.
The xray's blurred & the cat scan is inconclusive. There might be a hairline fracture. They'll put me in a brace & I should be able to go home in a couple of days.
One Dr's not completely sure & decides on a MRI just to be thoughrough.
I thought I had prepared for the worst, but I never thought that it could be true.
I used to lie in bed in the hospital at nights & sometimes the words "My back is broken" would just drift around in my head but I just couldn't make them fit onto me. & then I'd find that I was crying.
They had to cut my clothes off. The first vertebrae was fractured on such an angle that even a small movement of my back muscles would cause it to slice through my spinal cord. The second vertebrea was crushed 30% & was protruding inwards putting pressure on my spinal cord.
Just as well john was so insistant with the ambulance men:p
7 weeks later I was cleared to start learning to sit up again.
:rolleyes: I learned the difference between poor muscle tone & NO muscle tone:lol:

I spent the whole day having flashbacks.
It was wierd & creepy & horrible
but interspersed with moments of sheer awe at some of the planes & some of the flying I saw.
It's been a really strange day.
I don't think I would want to to repeat it.

I got a ton of photos & I'll hunt through them & see if I can find some good ones for you.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And theres me thinking you were going wingwalking.......:blush: ...Obviously youv'e been through far worse than that in the past year.....

Good on ya for facing it and conquering some of those fears....:bow:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
great to see you back. :thumb:

Time, they say, is a great healer ... but there are some things in time you will never forget ... you do learn to live with it.

;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Is definitely good to be back, thank you mucks & CL. Although I'm not sure I wouldn't've prefered to go wingwalking:rolleyes: Although not on the F1-11 I think, that could've gotten a bit dodgey:D

Ended up spending this afternoon in A&E at the hospital too. Life is very wierd.
John hit his hand on the corner of the rudder ( a rather big square plate of steel) of his boat when he was jumping down off the boat in our driveway & lifted a big L shaped flap of skin off the top of his hand. Very messy & rather painful.
Luckily the tendons weren't damaged but we had to spend quite a bit of time waiting around in A&E before they could establish that & sew him up again.

It has been a very strange easter so far & it's not over yet.
I'll just be glad when this one's finished I think.

Ask a Question