Odd:can access internet but cannot see workgroup with wireless network-desktop sees laptop fine

T

teacher

Thank you- pulling my hair out on this.....
Have:
1) XP home desktop->ATT router ->DSL. No problems. Latest SP2 all done.
2)Brand new laptop (dell 5160) xp home with ATT wireless card. All SP@ updates (but see below).
WEP enabled; settings correct.
I followed all the steps on carey holzman's site several times. Still cannot see MSHOME on My Network places on the laptop.
Laptop can access internet through the ATT router -No problem.
But laptop cannot see itself or the network.
_____
2 things that might (or might not) be relevant:
1) When I turned on windows update, it got stuck in the update of the net 1.1 framework update and will not complete it due to a "compiler error". Can't uninstall the update since it does not show it add/remove programs. Do NOT know if this is an issue. Any info would be helpful. I tried the knowledge base for know issues but way too technical for me.
2)It seems that half the time I reboot the settings of IE connections revert from "never dial a connection" to dial my default connection". Don't know if this is a symptom or irrelevant.
_________
Good news is that I made a complete image of the hard drive BEFORE I even turned the machine on (from bitter experience) so I can reset it if I have to, but would sure like to fix this.

PLEASE--any ideas???

J

Jack

Hi
May be this can Help.
Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the links).
Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that concern your specific setting.
Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thank you- pulling my hair out on this.....
Have:
1) XP home desktop->ATT router ->DSL. No problems. Latest SP2 all done.
2)Brand new laptop (dell 5160) xp home with ATT wireless card. All SP@ updates (but see below).
WEP enabled; settings correct.
I followed all the steps on carey holzman's site several times. Still cannot see MSHOME on My Network places on the laptop.
Laptop can access internet through the ATT router -No problem.
But laptop cannot see itself or the network.
_____
2 things that might (or might not) be relevant:
1) When I turned on windows update, it got stuck in the update of the net 1.1 framework update and will not complete it due to a "compiler error". Can't uninstall the update since it does not show it add/remove programs. Do NOT know if this is an issue. Any info would be helpful. I tried the knowledge base for know issues but way too technical for me.
2)It seems that half the time I reboot the settings of IE connections revert from "never dial a connection" to dial my default connection". Don't know if this is a symptom or irrelevant.
_________
Good news is that I made a complete image of the hard drive BEFORE I even turned the machine on (from bitter experience) so I can reset it if I have to, but would sure like to fix this.

PLEASE--any ideas???

Ask a Question