O2 Broadband Order

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've taken the plunge and ordered switched from Demon broadband to o2 broadband (16MB LLU for £10 was the max I can get here, but some can get 20MB for a bit more). Placed my order today (17th June) :)

I'll update this thread once I get the bits and the line is activated, as I know a few others were thinking about the move too :thumb:

attachment.php

edit : I'll post the date updates in here, just to give an idea of timescales
  • 17/06/08 (Morning) - Order Placed
  • 17/06/08 (Afternoon) - Order Confirmed and activation date of 25th given.
  • 17/06/08 (Afternoon) - Router Posted
  • 18/06/08 - Delivery company lost router, new one dispatched
  • 19/06/08 - Router Arrived
  • 25/06/08 - Connected to o2 :)

Attachments

• o2.jpg
    o2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 263

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Got the activation date already - 25/06/08 apparently :thumb:

Reaction score
Cool that's good, I like this theard aswell I think its a good idea to do one on O2 Boardband

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
I think they will send you out this router.

It's white from the outside looks really good my colleague got one.

We had a look and it turns out it's made my a company called Thomson or something. Or 02 have copied it really good. :)

o2 seem fairly priced especially when you are a 02 customer are u a customer then admin?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, been with o2 for my phone for a couple of years now.

The router you mention has been posted today, so hopefully that will arrive this week. :) Must say, I like the way they send text messages at each stage.

I'm hoping that the connection is activated before the date they've provided, as that has been the case most other times I've switched :)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Good choice with it and a good price :thumb:

BeBroadband ( my supplier who i have been very happy with) are owned by o2 so you should get a very good service.:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff :D

What sort of speed are you getting?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
well i'm in London quite close to the exchange so they say I can recieve the max of 24meg.

I'll do a speed test later to see what I am really getting though.

My router claims to be syncing at 17mbps though.

:D

Reaction score
Lucky sods!
I'm at the end of the exchange & am lucky to get over 2.4MB.:mad:
Even when the exchange is upgraded i will be lucky to get over 4MB.
The only option for faster speeds could be cable?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you get cable in your area? Might be worth checking the speeds online if you can :) My parents are limited to about 2MB, but I can only tell if I download something big :thumb:

Got a text message from o2 last night telling me that I can pick the router delivery date by replying with "1" for 18th, "2" for 19th etc... Got a reply this morning saying it should be delivered today :D Will be impressed if it does get here today :D

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Dunno where my exchange is but i get about 13MB, am paying for 16 though. Grrrrr.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Can you get cable in your area?
Sadly it seems not due to a few roads being private & residents refusing to allow the roads to be dug up!!!
It's a long story, but for the time being it looks like it's a wait until Q4 when BT upgrade the exchange!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The O2 LLU service is great value if you can get it - sadly where I'm moving to soon in the wilds of Shropshire I can only get their 'Access' package via BT which costs £22.50 (£17.50 if mobile with O2) for an up to 8 Meg service......in reality where I am I will only get around 1.5-2 Meg so its not great value at that price :(

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Not far from there murdoch - a bit further north near Whitchurch.

Going back to my roots so to speak.....brought up near Shrewsbury.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
The O2 LLU service is great value if you can get it - sadly where I'm moving to soon in the wilds of Shropshire I can only get their 'Access' package via BT which costs £22.50 (£17.50 if mobile with O2) for an up to 8 Meg service......in reality where I am I will only get around 1.5-2 Meg so its not great value at that price :(

That's quite a relocation!

There's an exchange checker here that might list other LLU's offering ADSL2+, but if you're in the middle of nowhere then there might not be any others yet.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
None yet Ian - and I doubt if its gonna happen any time soon either......we're talking Sleepsville here :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Router didn't arrive yesterday... after ringing the courier it looks like they might have lost it
wallbash.gif

Rang o2 customer service (1 ring, then answered in the UK - so pleased about that) and they said they'll dispatch another one. I hope it arrives soon :)

edit: Got the tracking e-mail now, and it's on a before-noon service for tomorrow morning (apparently!).

Reaction score
Be good to hear how you get on Ian...
It's a hell of a subject, isn't it...
My other half's mum was quite happily supplied an 8mb connection by AOL - to which BT can actually only supply 512KB of it! I think vendors should be more accountable for their sales.. and actually check, it's not bloody difficult; to what bandwidth 'range' can realistically be achieved!

I'm very happy with my connection - I use Sky.... and get 12MB....

@ Waynos_Face:
"Dunno where my exchange is but i get about 13MB, am paying for 16 though. Grrrrr."

You are paying for the tier between 8MB and 16MB - NOT '16MB'. 13 is actually very good - be grateful.
Would you complain if a car drove 10mph slower than the 'reported' maximum speed?

But it has to be the government's fault for not enforcing better education from providers....
And vendors should not be 'dangling the carrot' of unachievable speeds!

Ask a Question