O/S swap problem

Reaction score
Hi.
I am trying to resurrect my daughters Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. The problem got to a point were I needed to reinstall or change the O/S, as it came pre-installed with XP home I did not have the discs, so I formatted the drive C: partition only and installed Win 2000 pro, the problem is this laptop does not seem to like it. After a week of long hours trying to get an answer to this I am now at an end having used up all my know how.
some advice and guidance please.
regards.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reformat the drive , borrow a XP disk from a friend , use the code key of the sticker on your laptop , you have lift off.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Your laptop will probably come with a recovery partition if it doesn't have the OS discs (which you should be able to ask Dell for anyway, if needed :nod: )

This page should tell you how you can restore your laptop to the way it was when you first bought it (assuming that the recovery partition is still in place):

http://support.dell.com/support/top...cument?docid=DC493DC313321A9BE030A68F27281E82

Basically, you press CTRL+F11 on bootup if I remember correctly :)

Reaction score
Abarbarian. thanks for your advise I did what you advised but the installation would not accept the product key from the laptop, so I used the product key from the borrowed disk and that installed but it keeps asking me to register.!
regards

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
longshanks said:
Abarbarian. thanks for your advise I did what you advised but the installation would not accept the product key from the laptop, so I used the product key from the borrowed disk and that installed but it keeps asking me to register.!
regards
ooh no ... can't do that, that should already be registered to whomever you borrowed it from ... use the key on the Laptop sticker, if it don't work, call MS ... just tell 'em you had to reinstall due to a HD failure.

These OEMs can be bothersome. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question