Nvidia's Love of Rebranding Continues

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A week and a half ago, news hit the internet that Nvidia had launched its first Geforce 300-series desktop card, which garnered hopes from its massive consumer base that it was preparing to unveil the full next-generation series over the next few months. Unfortunately, the unveiling of the “behemoth” Geforce G 310 was overhyped too quickly, as prospective consumers and media analysts alike soon realized it to be a simple rebranded, refreshed version of the Geforce G 210 marketed for OEM distributors.

Today, our friends at Turkish site DonanimHaber have recently uncovered news on HP’s site about a Geforce 315 next-generation desktop card surfacing in the OEM channel. Information about the card was revealed within the company’s product specifications page for the HP Pro 2000 Microtower PC. The system comes factory-equipped with an Intel G41-based motherboard with integrated GMA X4500 graphics. However, HP lists an optional discreet graphics processor variety to choose from, including the Nvidia Geforce 315 1GB ATX PCI-E x16.

While complete information about this newly discovered GPU remains speculative at best, we do know that it is based on the 40nm GT216 core (GT216-200-A2), carries the codename “D10M2-20,” supports DirectX 10.1 and is supposedly the OEM version of the recently launched Geforce GT 220. In specific, the Geforce 315 runs at identically the same speeds with a 625MHz core, 1360MHz shaders, and 1800MHz DDR3 memory. However, the memory has been doubled on this OEM card to 1GB of 128-bit DDR3, up from 512MB of 128-bit DDR3 on the stock version of the Geforce GT 220 (although several manufacturers supply 512MB and 1GB variants).

Additional specifications remain the same with 48 stream processors, 8 ROPs, HDMI output, a maximum power draw of 52W, and the same physical dimensions. Pricing and availability are the only two undetermined variables within the information pool, but we will have updates on them as we learn more.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16738/1/

Anyone else think NV are starting to loose the plot with this? Its as if they are trying to confuse people.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm starting to get lost with all the new (old!) models out now :confused: I'm sure there must be some logic behind the new numbering, but I don't know what it is!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
They do need to introduce something new, instead of constantly rehashing existing technology.

And the new 5 series ATI cards do look good.

Reaction score
Yes I agree, They are going to start losing customer soon if they are not careful

Take Heed Nvidia if you know what is good for you, you're markting approach is starting to become a little tiresome

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
the "problem" is, no matter how good ATI seem to get, they still can't write any bloody drivers, or at least, bundle the correct drivers to the card purchased ...

nVidia ain't the only ones re-branding stuff ... but they taking the P now.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
the "problem" is, no matter how good ATI seem to get, they still can't write any bloody drivers, or at least, bundle the correct drivers to the card purchased ...

nVidia ain't the only ones re-branding stuff ... but they taking the P now.

This is an old argument against ATI, but their drivers are ok now from what I can work out, although I still hate the fact if you want to use their 'Control Centre' it's reliant on MS's Network.FX.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
sorry floppy, but I can give you one instance where people are actively changing graphics cards 'cos they "see" anomalies that aren't there and their cards are now underpowered.

Hey, it's what games are good at doing.

nVidia still get a smack on the wrist for revamping old stock. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye Mucks, I dare say, but what has that to do with ATI drivers? :confused:

In my main machine I play the latest games and I have what is probably now considered an underpowered card, a BFG Nvidia 9800 GTX 512Mb but it handles all games - including Crysis - at a very acceptable resolution and frame rate so for now I don't see any reason to change.

Hell, even my BFG Nvidia 8800GTS 640Mb (1st generation, now three years old) in another machine can handle all the games I throw at it although admittedly sometimes at 1064 x 768.

I probably won't change until DX11 becomes mainstream.

Ask a Question