NVIDIA drivers cause screen blinking?

John Doe

ASUS A8N5X (NVIDIA nForce 4 chipset)
Opteron 152
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX5500 (PCI) OR GeForce 7950GT (PCI Express 16)
Windows XP SP2
DirectX 9.0c

A while back, I bought a PCI Express mainboard and used a GeForce
FX5500 PCI card until I could afford to buy a 7950GT. At that time,
NVIDIA drivers above 56.64 would cause the display to blink off
whenever a multimedia file was either deleted or just right clicked
on.

Now I've got the 7950 GT and the same thing is happening.

Is this a well-known problem with recent drivers? Could it be a
settings problem? Is there some workaround besides going back to
version 56.64 of NVIDIA drivers?

Thank you.

ammonton

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia John Doe said:
A while back, I bought a PCI Express mainboard and used a GeForce
FX5500 PCI card until I could afford to buy a 7950GT. At that time,
NVIDIA drivers above 56.64 would cause the display to blink off
whenever a multimedia file was either deleted or just right clicked
on.
Now I've got the 7950 GT and the same thing is happening.
Is this a well-known problem with recent drivers? Could it be a
settings problem? Is there some workaround besides going back to
version 56.64 of NVIDIA drivers?

The problem is the "Play on my..." entry in the context menu. See
<http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44677> for info on how
to disable this.

-a (followups trimmed)

John Doe

I said:
NVIDIA drivers above 56.64 cause the display to blink off whenever
a multimedia file is either deleted or just right clicked on.

Not sure, but maybe I should have noted multiple monitors.

That bug in NVIDIA's drivers is worked around this way.

Adapted from Chris Largent's post:

.... copy any important files from your hard drive to removable media

.... open the Windows registry editor

.... search for "PlayOnMyTV"

.... append "-disable" to the Default entrys (about six times),
to make each PlayOnMyTV Default entry look like this:
{...-Disable}

.... close Regedit and restart your computer

Good luck and have fun.