Nvidia 196.75 WHQL Released - UPDATE: PLEASE READ

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Nvidia have pulled these from their website until a problem with fan speed is resolved.

Please keep an eye on your temps if you have these drivers installed! This doesn't seem to affect everyone, only some users.

New in Version 196.75

* Adds support for Next Generation ION.
* Adds support for GeForce GT 320, GeForce GT 330, and GeForce GT 340.
* Upgrades PhysX System Software to version 9.10.0129.
* Upgrades HD Audio driver to version 1.0.9.1 (for supported GPUs).
* Increases performance in several PC games from v196.21 WHQL. The following are examples of measured improvements. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:

o Up to 13% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with a single GPU
o Up to 30% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with SLI technology
o Up to 13% performance increase in H.A.W.X with single GPU
o Up to 15% performance increase in H.A.W.X with SLI technology
o Up to 30% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with single GPU
o Up to 28% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with SLI technology

* Adds SLI and multi-GPU support for top new gaming titles including Assassin Creed II, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight, Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, and Zombie Driver.
* Enhanced SLI support for World of Warcraft and Unigine.
* Adds Ambient Occlusion support for Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Need for Speed: Shift, Resident Evil 5, RUSE, and Street Fighter IV.
* Adds override anti-aliasing support for Mass Effect 2.
* Includes numerous bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah seems to be an issue with the Us DL mirror, UK ones fine. Just its a bigger file that contains the extra language packs that you dont need. No biggie though.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

That link works.

EDIT: Stolen fron another forum. :D

Windows XP 32-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_196.75_whql.html

Windows XP 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_196.75_whql.html

Windows 7/Vista 32-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_196.75_whql.htm

Windows 7/Vista 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.75_whql.htm

*OP updated with links. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
just installed these ... no reboot :confused:

did a re-score on the board & go from 6.8 to 6.7 ... I want me 0.1 back :confused:

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Most of the above links took me to the USA Nvidia site with 'Page Not Found' message and a list of links.

So I went to the Nvidia UK home page and done the usual search thingie and for my 8800GTS with Win XP 32 Bit it gives the latest driver as 196.21. Which I have already.

:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sorry bout the links, i took them from another site as the NV webby was having a fit at the time of posting.

The US drivers dont have the extra language packs, so its a smaller download. Dont matter if they come from US ot UK, its personal preference. I used to get the US ones as i dont want/need the other languages. :)

Was just going to post this....

Nvidia have pulled these from their website until a problem with fan speed is resolved.

Ooops! ...and people moan about ATI drivers! :p

lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Ooops! ...and people moan about ATI drivers! :p

lol

People generally moan when things don't work that should work.

If we take an average of drivers working and not working over the last ten years I think you'll find ATI are clear winners in the 'Giving a reason for graphics card users to heartily express their disaproval' stakes. ;)

It's all good :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:

Eek, I'll roll back the drivers now just in case!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tis true Flops. Though FWIW, i've not had any issues with either ATI or NV thus far. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bit more info on this....

Numerous gamers have reported that NVIDIA's latest WHQL-certified driver release - v196.75 - is causing GeForce graphics cards to overheat, and in some cases fail beyond repair.

The reports, many of which originate from NVIDIA's own support forums, have resulted in the GPU giant pulling its latest drivers from its website. In a statement, NVIDIA recommends users roll back to an older driver release whilst it attempts to solve the issue.

"We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com," said the company in a statement.

"Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime."

According to reports, NVIDIA's 196.75 driver release isn't adjusting fan speeds as required when graphics cards are put under load during demanding activities such as 3D gaming. As a result, users are likely to experience extremely high GPU temperatures, with one gamer already witnessing temperatures of up to 104°C whilst playing StarCraft 2.

Game developer Blizzard has responded by recommending users with an NVIDIA graphics card revert back to older drivers.

"We're getting reports where users are getting intermittent low FPS after installing these drivers [196.75]. It seems that it is related to the fan control included in these drivers not working correctly and is causing the video card to overheat on 3D applications. This will affect Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft and StarCraft 2 Beta. Please uninstall the drivers and revert back to the older ones", said a Blizzard representative.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Tis true Flops. Though FWIW, i've not had any issues with either ATI or NV thus far. :)

Ok, own-up time.

The only drivers I've ever had issues with were one set of Nvidia drivers about 5 years ago, some games just wouldn't run.

Nvidia pulled them after about three days.

I've never had an issue with any ATI drivers and that there be the truth.

Ask a Question