NTP time service, polling interval

Julio

I'd like to get time from a NTP server on a W2000 server (SP4). I get some
informations from Microsoft web site.

The command "net time /setsntp:[NTPserverAddress] works well and I can get
the right time.

My problem is I can't change the polling interval. By default "SpecialSkew"
is the polling interval (3 times per day).

Microsoft documentation says that "w32tm -period [value]" allows to change
it. But when I write "w32tm -period 0" (1 time per day) it doesn't wok. It
does nothing (the registry value "w32time/parameter/period" is not changed
and I must do "CTRL+C" to stop running the w32tm command.

Is there a solution?

Thanks for help.

Jerold Schulman

I'd like to get time from a NTP server on a W2000 server (SP4). I get some
informations from Microsoft web site.

The command "net time /setsntp:[NTPserverAddress] works well and I can get
the right time.

My problem is I can't change the polling interval. By default "SpecialSkew"
is the polling interval (3 times per day).

Microsoft documentation says that "w32tm -period [value]" allows to change
it. But when I write "w32tm -period 0" (1 time per day) it doesn't wok. It
does nothing (the registry value "w32time/parameter/period" is not changed
and I must do "CTRL+C" to stop running the w32tm command.

Is there a solution?

Thanks for help.
See tip 2337 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Anders

My problem is I can't change the polling interval. By default "SpecialSkew"
is the polling interval (3 times per day).

Your problem is that you didn't read the manual.

W32tm is a command line diagnostics tool that will run the time service, but
it is /not/ a configuration tool.

So, either you change the time service parameters using "net time", or the
registry,
or you shut down the time service, and keep w32tm up and running all the
time.

There is an excellent paper from MS that has all about this.
It's called "The Windows Time Service", I don't have the link, but I
originally found it using Google.

Cheers,
Anders :)

Kevin Bowersock

Here is an article that tells how to configure your time service.

216734 How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216734

It also has a link to the whitepaper that Anders mentioned.
The Windows Time Service
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc

Enjoy!

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights
| From: "Anders" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| Subject: Re: NTP time service, polling interval
| Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:18:22 +0200
|

| "Julio" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
| |