NTLDR is missing on new MSI mobo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. I'm moving in a few days and trying to get this machine up and running so I don't have much more time to troubleshoot.

I'm trying to put together a new machine out of some spare parts I had kicking around. I have an MSI P4MAM2-V motherboard in the new machine but when I try swapping my old IDEs drives (just an old 20gig and a 30gig) from my old machine, I get an "NTLDR is missing" error. The drives work fine in the old machine so I thought that it has to be that the new BIOS just isn't detecting the boot sector of the drives.
I've tried changing the boot order to every possible setting in the BIOS and unplugged every other device but the boot drive. I was finally able to get a small response out of the drive by changing the drive setting from 'auto' to 'large'. After I do that, the white windows progress indicator pops up on the screen briefly, then after a few seconds, a blue screen stop error flashes up for a split-second, then it reboots.

I've read that you sometimes have to do a Windows repair after changing chipsets...is this true? Could that be the issue or is there another setting somewhere in the BIOS that I should be experimenting with?

Thanks in advance,
-Rich

Ask a Question