NTFS permissions

I just moved a drive with 2 NTFS partitions in it from one win2k machine to
another win2k machine and installed win2k pro into one of the existing blank
NTFS partitions.

Now when I go to access the data in the other NTFS drive (despite having the
same user name and password), I cannot access all the folders inside which
did have the old user name's permissions on it.

I did remove the permissions from the drive and set them to my new user
name, but am unable to get into some folders inside which still have the old
permissions. I know I can take ownership of the files, but as there are too
many of them, I would rather choose some option to apply to all files and
folders inside - is this possible? Or am I going to have to spend the next
fortnight taking ownership of each file and folder in the partition?!

TIA

Roger Abell

When you take ownership at the top you should be getting prompted
as to whether you want permissions changed and if so then also
whether you want that to be done on all the substructure
If you do not need to take ownership, then at the top of the structure
in the NTFS permissions dialog use the Advanced button and in
that adv view use the checkbox to apply the permissons to all
the dependent structure's objects.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

For your situation, I'd like to explain that even you got the same username
in new OS, it is still a different user with the one in the problematic
folder. So as Roger and Bari you need to take ownership of the all data or
apply the permissons, You may try their suggestions first.

Thank Roger and Bari for assistance.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support