NTFS & FAT timestamps different?

Rik Bean

The backup software I use compares timestamps on files (amongst othe
things) and will backup a newer file.

I noticed yesterday, with the shift to DST, that it wrote out all file
to FAT devices (ZIP and flash drive) but only the genuinely update
files to NTFS drives (USB HDs). My 'native' file system is NTFS.

This makes me think that NTFS stores timestamps in UTC, and correct
the displayed time during BST, whilst FAT writes a 'hard' timestamp an
a change in the system clock will cause it to appear newer (or older
when the clock is adjusted.

Can anyone clarify/confirm this please

Ken

I've been following this thread..... What' "BST?" (As in "the displayed
time during BST."
Thanks,
Ken

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Yes that is correct. NTFS is UTC and Fat is local time.

David Candy

I presume s/he means British Standard Time. But could mean Bahamas Standard Time, Bahrain Standard Time, Barbados Standard Time, Bangladesh Standard Time, Belarus Standard Time, Belgium Standard Time, Belize Standard Time. Benin Standard Time, Bermuda Standard Time, Bahamas Standard Time, Bhutan Standard Time, Botswana Standard Time, Bolivia Standard Time, Bosnia and Herzegovina Standard Time, Bouvet Island Standard Time, Brazil Standard Time, British Indian Ocean Territory Standard Time, Brunei Darussalam Standard Time, Bulgaria Standard Time, Burkina Faso Standard Time, or Burundi Standard Time.

Ken

Aha!

Or Bavarian Standard Time?