NSIS ERROR - PLEASE HELP

Scott S

I RAN INTO A PROBLEM WITH MY PC THIS WEEKEND. I HAD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS.
NOW WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL A PROGRAM I DOWNLOADED I GET A "NSIS ERROR"
TELLING ME THE FILE IS CORRUPT. I HAVE TRIED TO RE INSTALL WINDOWS XP AND
VISTA BOTH LEGAL COPIES, REPLACED THE HARD DRIVE WITH BOTH A SATA AND IDE
DISABLED THE FIREWALL ETC.... ITS QUITE STRANGE CAUSE SOME PROGRAMS WILL
WORK AND OTHERS WON'T, BUT ALL THE INSTALLERS WORK ON OTHER COMPUTERS. I WAS
HOPING YOU MAY HAVE HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS. ANY HELP
WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THE PROBLEM ONLY SEEMS TO OCCUR WHENTHE INSTALLER EXTRACTS ITSELF TO THE
WINDOWS\TEMP DIRECTORY. i CAN INSTALL FROM CD-ROM PERFECTLY.

ANY ADVISE ON THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE GRETLY APPRECIATED.

Patrick Keenan

Scott S said:
I RAN INTO A PROBLEM WITH MY PC THIS WEEKEND. I HAD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS.
NOW WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL A PROGRAM I DOWNLOADED I GET A "NSIS ERROR"
TELLING ME THE FILE IS CORRUPT. I HAVE TRIED TO RE INSTALL WINDOWS XP AND
VISTA BOTH LEGAL COPIES, REPLACED THE HARD DRIVE WITH BOTH A SATA AND IDE
DISABLED THE FIREWALL ETC.... ITS QUITE STRANGE CAUSE SOME PROGRAMS WILL
WORK AND OTHERS WON'T, BUT ALL THE INSTALLERS WORK ON OTHER COMPUTERS. I
WAS HOPING YOU MAY HAVE HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS. ANY
HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THE PROBLEM ONLY SEEMS TO OCCUR WHENTHE INSTALLER EXTRACTS ITSELF TO THE
WINDOWS\TEMP DIRECTORY. i CAN INSTALL FROM CD-ROM PERFECTLY.

ANY ADVISE ON THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE GRETLY APPRECIATED.

Please don't post in all caps, it makes the message very hard to read.

NSIS stands for "Nullsoft Scriptable Install System". So, it's an installer
package that is used by some specific software publisher.

Replacing the hard disk usually will have no effect with such an error
unless the problem is with the drive controller chips. Reinstalling
Windows would almost certainly be pointless, given the information presented
here.

The source would be in one of three places - either the drive controller is
failing, the package itself is corrupt, or it is corrupted in memory as it
is expanded.

If all other apps work, it's that specific package. You've found a
corrupted version. Talk to the publisher.

For the first and third possibilities, this is almost certainly a hardware
problem that will appear with other wholly unrelated software, including the
Windows reinstall, sometimes appearing as "file cannot be copied" errors
during setup. You fix it by replacing the hardware.

For the second, consult the software publisher. And that's where you
should start.

HTH
-pk

Patrick Keenan

Scott S said:
I RAN INTO A PROBLEM WITH MY PC THIS WEEKEND. I HAD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS.
NOW WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL A PROGRAM I DOWNLOADED I GET A "NSIS ERROR"
TELLING ME THE FILE IS CORRUPT. I HAVE TRIED TO RE INSTALL WINDOWS XP AND
VISTA BOTH LEGAL COPIES, REPLACED THE HARD DRIVE WITH BOTH A SATA AND IDE
DISABLED THE FIREWALL ETC.... ITS QUITE STRANGE CAUSE SOME PROGRAMS WILL
WORK AND OTHERS WON'T, BUT ALL THE INSTALLERS WORK ON OTHER COMPUTERS. I
WAS HOPING YOU MAY HAVE HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS. ANY
HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THE PROBLEM ONLY SEEMS TO OCCUR WHENTHE INSTALLER EXTRACTS ITSELF TO THE
WINDOWS\TEMP DIRECTORY. i CAN INSTALL FROM CD-ROM PERFECTLY.

ANY ADVISE ON THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE GRETLY APPRECIATED.

Also,
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Why_do_I_get_NSIS_Error

HTH
-pk

Scott S

Patrick,

I aplogize for the all caps, I am positive it is not a softawre problem, the
installers that I have problems with install on 2 other computers I have.

If the drive controlers are failing would it make a difference if thedrive
is SATA or IDE. Do these use the same controller? I have tried both drives
to no avail.

When you say it is being corrupted in memory, could this be caused by a
fault RAM chip, or is this still a software issue?

Thanks

Scott