Now all my shortcuts say "<whatever>.lnk"

Walter Donavan

I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on occasion (I
have mostly learned not to do it). I deleted some key(s) that tell W2K to
*hide* file extensions for shortcuts.

Can I recover? If you help me, I promise never to do it again. :)

Mark V

In said:
I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on
occasion (I have mostly learned not to do it).

Perhaps learning how to backup the registry would be a better goal.
I deleted some
key(s) that tell W2K to *hide* file extensions for shortcuts.

I can't just guess...
Try http://www.jsiinc.com

Tips. And search for lnkfile

Mark V

In said:
I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on
occasion (I have mostly learned not to do it).

Perhaps learning how to backup the registry would be a better goal.
I deleted some
key(s) that tell W2K to *hide* file extensions for shortcuts.

I can't just guess...
Try http://www.jsiinc.com

Tips. And search for lnkfile

Dave Patrick

Make sure you have the empty Reg_Sz string as below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile
"NeverShowExt"=""

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on occasion (I
| have mostly learned not to do it). I deleted some key(s) that tell W2K to
| *hide* file extensions for shortcuts.
|
| Can I recover? If you help me, I promise never to do it again. :)
|
| --
| Walter Donavan
| www.revelation7stages.com
| www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479

Dave Patrick

Make sure you have the empty Reg_Sz string as below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile
"NeverShowExt"=""

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on occasion (I
| have mostly learned not to do it). I deleted some key(s) that tell W2K to
| *hide* file extensions for shortcuts.
|
| Can I recover? If you help me, I promise never to do it again. :)
|
| --
| Walter Donavan
| www.revelation7stages.com
| www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479

Walter Donavan

I'm still confused.

I know it requires RegEdit. That's how I got in trouble in the first place.

What I do not know is how to create a Reg_Sz entry, whatever that is, and I
do not know where to put it under the key given.

If I just create a .REG (text) file with that key, will it work?

Walter Donavan

I'm still confused.

I know it requires RegEdit. That's how I got in trouble in the first place.

What I do not know is how to create a Reg_Sz entry, whatever that is, and I
do not know where to put it under the key given.

If I just create a .REG (text) file with that key, will it work?

G. Samuel Hays

Open notepad

Paste the following (between the snippets) inside the notepad

<snippet>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000001
"IsShortcut"=""
"NeverShowExt"=""

</snippet>

Save the file as "FixLink.Reg" (with the quotes)
and double click it.

It will ask if you want to merge it with your registry. Say Yes.

Best Regards
-Sam

G. Samuel Hays

Open notepad

Paste the following (between the snippets) inside the notepad

<snippet>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000001
"IsShortcut"=""
"NeverShowExt"=""

</snippet>

Save the file as "FixLink.Reg" (with the quotes)
and double click it.

It will ask if you want to merge it with your registry. Say Yes.

Best Regards
-Sam

Dave Patrick

Run regedit.exe and navigate to;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile
then from the menu
Edit|New|String value
and name it "NeverShowExt"
close the registry editor and vow never to open it again.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I'm still confused.
|
| I know it requires RegEdit. That's how I got in trouble in the first
place.

| What I do not know is how to create a Reg_Sz entry, whatever that is, and
| do not know where to put it under the key given.
|
| If I just create a .REG (text) file with that key, will it work?
| --
| Walter Donavan
| www.revelation7stages.com
| www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479

Dave Patrick

Run regedit.exe and navigate to;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile
then from the menu
Edit|New|String value
and name it "NeverShowExt"
close the registry editor and vow never to open it again.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I'm still confused.
|
| I know it requires RegEdit. That's how I got in trouble in the first
place.

| What I do not know is how to create a Reg_Sz entry, whatever that is, and
| do not know where to put it under the key given.
|
| If I just create a .REG (text) file with that key, will it work?
| --
| Walter Donavan
| www.revelation7stages.com
| www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Dave Patrick" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Now all my shortcuts say "<whatever>.lnk"
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:41:47 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

Make sure you have the empty Reg_Sz string as below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile
"NeverShowExt"=""

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on occasion (I
| have mostly learned not to do it). I deleted some key(s) that tell W2K to
| *hide* file extensions for shortcuts.
|
| Can I recover? If you help me, I promise never to do it again. :)
|
| --
| Walter Donavan
| www.revelation7stages.com
| www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479
--

Walter,

What Dave is saying is to run Regedit and then branch out until you get to the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile

Once you have the sub-key lnkfile highlighted make sure we have a value in the Name colume on the right of
NeverShowExt. This value should have a Type of REG_SZ, which is simply a String Value. The Data for this value should
be empty.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Dave Patrick" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:41:47 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

Make sure you have the empty Reg_Sz string as below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile
"NeverShowExt"=""

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I was mucking in the registry, as I am foolishly wont to do on occasion (I
| have mostly learned not to do it). I deleted some key(s) that tell W2K to
| *hide* file extensions for shortcuts.
|
| Can I recover? If you help me, I promise never to do it again. :)
|
| --
| Walter Donavan
| www.revelation7stages.com
| www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479
--

Walter,

What Dave is saying is to run Regedit and then branch out until you get to the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile

Once you have the sub-key lnkfile highlighted make sure we have a value in the Name colume on the right of
NeverShowExt. This value should have a Type of REG_SZ, which is simply a String Value. The Data for this value should
be empty.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Walter Donavan

Thank you all! I tried everything everyone suggested, and at least one of
them worked. No more $%$%$@!! .lnk on the end of my shortcuts.

And I vow never, ever to mess with that again!

Thanks again. :)

Walter Donavan

Thank you all! I tried everything everyone suggested, and at least one of
them worked. No more $%$%$@!! .lnk on the end of my shortcuts.

And I vow never, ever to mess with that again!

Thanks again. :)

Heelen

Hi,
Don't be afraid of it! To learn computer technology,just keep trying.
Try more,gain more.