Novice needs help with Outlook Custom Forms !!!

Reaction score
I am a reluctant novice to Outlook custom forms, having been forced into developing some for our company by a boss who is an IT professional but has no time to do it himself. And just because I managed several months ago to make some simple forms, he expects blasted miracles - and of course simply will not accept that programming Outlook has limitations ('cos he is a VBA expert!).

Suddenly they need something else, and I cannot do what is needed - even after around 40 hours of searching and trying. I am so disgusted with myself I don't even have a 'bad' script to post to see what I have been doing wrong.

Anyway, we are using Outlook 2000 (still - yes we have avoided upgrading and the recession has forced us to extend our upgrade even further into the distance).

Any help with a solution to the following will get huge Kudos and my undying appreciation!

Custom email form

User inputs two dates into two control fields on the compose page:

arrivalDate
departureDate

These are input in MS standard date format, e.g.

Tue 23-Sep-2009

In the read/reply page that the recipient receives, I need these dates to be presented (read) by the recipient in a custom format - so that they can easily be cut & pasted it into an application we are using in the following string format:

Tue, 23 Sep, 2009

I know that Outlook forms do not support custom formats and do not take custom formats from the host machine. Furthermore, in a custom form control you cannot use the WeekDayName or MonthName functions to cast the names - if we could, I could easily concatenate the right string.

So I have been trying to cast this date as a string (in my special format) using the script editor in Outlook custom forms. We don't want to use VBA as that would take me into a whole new area of programming and macro writing, etc. which I would need to learn from scratch.

So if any very kind, very generous, very clever programmer chap or chappess can help with converting a date/time field into a cast string... thus

arrival date = Tue 23-Sep-2009 > to > arrivalString = Tue, 23 Sep, 2009; and
departure date = Mon 29-Sep-2009 > to > departureString = Mon, 29 Sep, 2009

Thanks
Nick at the Kennels in Dubai

Ask a Question