Not Your Average Personal.xls Problem

Reaction score
I've googled and searched the threads on this and other forums, but I can't seem to get my Personal Macro Workbook to open when I double click or open existing Excel documents.

To answer the basics:
  • The PERSONAL.XLS workbook is saved in my Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/Microsoft/Excel/XLSTART directory.
  • I've also saved to the Program Files/.../OFFICE11/XLSTART directory, but that had no effect.
  • I determined that Excel was looking in my app data directory by deleting both files and recording a new macro, then saving and checking the location of the file created.
  • Macro Security is set to low
  • Tools->Options->General->[At startup, open all files in...] is blank.
  • Help->About->[Disabled Items] is empty.
  • If I open the Excel application, Book1 is the default (not saved in XLSTART) and the macros are listed as "PERSONAL.XLS!Macro1", "PERSONAL.XLS!Macro2", etc.
  • If I open any other Excel file, no macros are found, and the PERSONAL.XLS workbook is not opened (Unhide option is greyed out in Window menu)
I'm trying to import files that I exported from my previous machine, but neither imported files nor locally created macros are appearing under these circumstances.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

Ask a Question