Non OEM ink cartridges

Tony Hwang

Hi,
My family uses Canon MP530 printer for general printing job.
Any concerns using non-OEM cartridges? And where I can order
some less expensive compatible ink cartridges? Any suggestions?
TIA,

Jan Alter

Tony Hwang said:
Hi,
My family uses Canon MP530 printer for general printing job.
Any concerns using non-OEM cartridges? And where I can order
some less expensive compatible ink cartridges? Any suggestions?
TIA,

Two reliable sources that I use for Epson inks that also carry Canon
cartridges are
www.inksupply.com
and
www.alotofthings.com

There are other good sources out there as well, but these are the two that
I've used for a couple of years for getting ink in the U.S..

phineaspaine

Hi,
My family uses Canon MP530 printer for general printing job.
Any concerns using non-OEM cartridges? And where I can order
some less expensive compatible ink cartridges? Any suggestions?
TIA,

Hi Tony:

Based on your email address, you're located in Canada, just as I am.
I'm located in Ottawa, Ontario, have worked in the IT industry for 23
years now, 17 of those in supporting very large-scale variable print
operations (hardware and software).

With respect to non-OEM PGI-5 and CLI-8 ink cartridges for the Canon
MP530, they are available within Canada. However, you should be aware
of a few things before you travel the non-OEM route.

1. The use of non-OEM cartridges requires that you move the "chip"
from the original OEM cartridge to the replacement non-OEM cartridge.
Canon has seen fit to install chips on the CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges
used by this printer, and the printer will not operate unless these
chips are present on each cartridge. You need to re-use the original
chip from your empty Canon cartridge (see http://www.idiya-solutions.com/Canon_Chip_change.pdf
), so save them. Non-OEM cartridge manufacturers, so far, have been
unable to replicate this chip, though I've read about non-OEM chipped
cartridges recently becoming available in Europe. I haven't yet seen
any in Canada, however.

2. Since the original Canon chip cannot be "reset" (afaik) to reflect
a full ink cartridge, you will need to override the print driver
warning that you have a "low ink level", most likely multiple times,
by pressing the OK button to continue printing (see page 99 of your
user guide) after inserting a re-chipped non-OEM cartridge. After a
number of these overrides, your print driver should warn you that:
a) it's detected that you're attempting to use non-OEM cartridges,
b) that continued use will cause the low ink-level monitor to be
disabled (see 3. below)
c) that continued use will void any remaining warranty on your
printer.
Once you've accepted all of these warnings, the printer should
continue to operate without further interruption. This is Canon's
method to "persuade" you to stick with their pricey OEM cartridges.

There's really little reason not to go ahead and void your warranty
and proceed using non-OEM ink cartridges. However, it is YOUR
choice. If you're worried about wrecking the printer, be comforted by
the fact that you will likely be able to pick up a new one for a few
dollars more than the cost of a full set of OEM cartridges. If it's
on sale, maybe even less! For example, the latest iP4500 is available
at Staples for C$129.76, and it comes with a set of OEM cartridges...
and the cost for a set of OEM carts at Staples for this puppy? (4 x
18.62) + 19.95 = C$94.43. Guess that means Canon is selling the
printer for about $35...

3. Canon inkjets are thermal inkjet printers, i.e. they use heat to
rapidly expand the ink within a jet, causing a drop to be ejected from
the nozzle. It is important not to continue to use the printer with
an empty ink tank. The presence of ink cools the nozzles during use.
If there is no ink, it is likely that the nozzles will overheat, and
possibly burnout, ruining the printhead. Once you have started using
non-OEM cartridges, the ink level monitor will be disabled, and you
will have to manually monitor the ink level within each cartridge.
Refer to this post for a good tip (you may have to unwrap the link if
this editor wordwrapped it):

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp....632a0/3762a454662651a4?hl=en#3762a454662651a4

4. Ink quality can vary widely with non-OEM cartridges. The trick is
to find a 3rd party brand that you like, and works well for your
"general printing" purposes. Personally, I like the CoralJet brand,
and have used them for a couple years now with excellent results, even
with photos. I'm quite impressed with this ink. FYI, I'm not related
in any way to the vendor.. it's just that the vendor happens to be
located here in Ottawa, which also makes it convenient for my needs...
and at C$3.15 a cartridge, it's a fraction of the price of Canon
cartridges. He does ship within Canada via post. See:
http://www.idiya-solutions.com
The savings over time are substantial, to say the least.

5. As far as non-OEM ink clogging the jets - my only experience with
a clogged jet happened with the original factory-supplied OEM Canon
ink with my iP5300, and then only with the pigment-based PGI-5 black
(the CLI-8 cartridges are dye-based). I practically emptied the PGI-5
cartridge trying to flush the jets using the print-driver-based
cleaning cycles without any success. Since the printer was
practically brand new, I called Canon and they sent out a new
printhead. Upon receipt, I tossed the offending OEM PGI-5 and
replaced it with a CoralJet equivalent, overrode the print driver
warnings, and have had zero problems since. (note: Later, I was
eventually able to flush out the clog in the original printhead by
soaking the head in isopropyl alcohol, and now have a "spare" for this
printer).

Regardless, after the original OEM set of ink cartridges were run
through our printers, we've used nothing but CoralJet cartridges, and
have had absolutely no clogging problems. I purchased a total of 8
Canon printers for myself and my extended family - 4 x iP5000's, 1 x
iP6000D, 2 x iP5200's, and 1 x iP5300. All are using CoralJet
cartridges, and all with great results... and I've saved thousands of
dollars that would have otherwise been spent on OEM ink cartridges.

Warning: No doubt you'll encounter posts from the resident troll
"measekite", who will rant on and on about sticking with the factory
Canon cartridges regardless of cost. My advice is to ignore him. Do
some research, and make up your own mind.

Another option is refilling your OEM cartridges. It's even more
economical, but can be messy. One of my favourite sites is
http://www.nifty-stuff.com for non-OEM inkjet cartridge and refilling
information.

Cheers!
Phineas

Stick Stickus

Try your local Cartridge World (If there is one in your neck of the woods!),
In the UK and some parts of the US they can both refill and reset the chips
on these cartridges so you lose no functionality of the cartridges nor do
you lose any ink quality.
Regards
Stick
[...]

measekite

Jan Alter wrote:

"Tony Hwang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:0lnuj.54303$Ly.38251@pd7urf1no...

Hi, My family uses Canon MP530 printer for general printing job. Any concerns using non-OEM cartridges? And where I can order some less expensive compatible ink cartridges? Any suggestions? TIA,

Two reliable sources that I use for Epson inks that also carry Canon cartridges are www.inksupply.com and

I would never consider this one.

www.alotofthings.com There are other good sources out there as well,

The best ones are
Epson and Canon and maybe HP
And Costco, Staples and Office Depot
They are reputable

[email protected] wrote:

On Feb 18, 5:07 pm, Tony Hwang <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, My family uses Canon MP530 printer for general printing job. Any concerns using non-OEM cartridges? And where I can order some less expensive compatible ink cartridges? Any suggestions? TIA,

Hi Tony: Based on your email address, you're located in Canada, just as I am. I'm located in Ottawa, Ontario, have worked in the IT industry for 23 years now, 17 of those in supporting very large-scale variable print operations (hardware and software). With respect to non-OEM PGI-5 and CLI-8 ink cartridges for the Canon MP530, they are available within Canada. However, you should be aware of a few things before you travel the non-OEM route.

snip
1. CL8 is a newer patented ink formula that no fly by nite has been able to come close to cloning
2.  The new Canon ink has greater fade resistance
3.  The new Canon ink shows better print quality
4. The ink quality is consistent
5.  It is less likely to clog your printer unless you print a whole lot and that is only with some of the junkie inks.

Once you've accepted all of these warnings, the printer should continue to operate without further interruption. This is Canon's method to "persuade" you to stick with their pricey OEM cartridges.

No persuasion is needed.

snip

3. Canon inkjets are thermal inkjet printers, i.e. they use heat to rapidly expand the ink within a jet, causing a drop to be ejected from the nozzle. It is important not to continue to use the printer with an empty ink tank. The presence of ink cools the nozzles during use. If there is no ink, it is likely that the nozzles will overheat, and possibly burnout, ruining the printhead. Once you have started using non-OEM cartridges, the ink level monitor will be disabled, and you will have to manually monitor the ink level within each cartridge.

snip

4. Ink quality can vary widely with non-OEM cartridges. The trick is to find a 3rd party brand that you like, and works well for your "general printing" purposes.

There are no brands.  All there are is vendors who sell who knows what and change based on price.  They probably get the stuff from the same place people got gdog food, toothpaste and toys.

Personally, I like the CoralJet brand, and have used them for a couple years now with excellent results, even with photos. I'm quite impressed with this ink. FYI, I'm not related in any way to the vendor..

that is what they all say.  not a relative but a friend maybe

it's just that the vendor happens to be located here in Ottawa, which also makes it convenient for my needs... and at C$3.15 a cartridge, it's a fraction of the price of Canon cartridges. He does ship within Canada via post. See: http://www.idiya-solutions.com The savings over time are substantial, to say the least. 5. As far as non-OEM ink clogging the jets - my only experience with a clogged jet happened with the original factory-supplied OEM Canon ink with my iP5300, and then only with the pigment-based PGI-5 black (the CLI-8 cartridges are dye-based). I practically emptied the PGI-5 cartridge trying to flush the jets using the print-driver-based cleaning cycles without any success. Since the printer was practically brand new, I called Canon and they sent out a new printhead. Upon receipt, I tossed the offending OEM PGI-5 and replaced it with a CoralJet equivalent, overrode the print driver warnings, and have had zero problems since. (note: Later, I was eventually able to flush out the clog in the original printhead by soaking the head in isopropyl alcohol, and now have a "spare" for this printer).

Now I have heard everything.  I have been using a Canon IP4000 for 5 years with the same ink and never had a clog.  I have never had a problem.  And I do not print heavily.  Since I print mostly photos I use the pigment cart even less.  And the cart I use is BCI 3eBK not a PGI-5

Regardless, after the original OEM set of ink cartridges were run through our printers, we've used nothing but CoralJet cartridges, and have had absolutely no clogging problems.

That may be true only if you print a great deal but if you print like an average user you better watch out.
snip

Another option is refilling your OEM cartridges. It's even more economical,

but can be messy.

Now that is an understatement.

One of my favourite sites is http://www.nifty-stuff.com for non-OEM inkjet cartridge and refilling information. Cheers! Phineas

RF

Hi Experts,

I have a Canon Pixma MP 170 and I need only to print with
black ink but now it keeps bawling about the color cartridge
being low.

Is there any way to print without the color cartridge?

TIA

RF

RF

measekite said:
[...]

Where Measekite do you fit into the Canon family? ;-)

RF

I tried Phineas' suggestion of pressing the OK button. It
worked but I'm wondering how long it will work?

measekite

RF said:
Where Measekite do you fit into the Canon family? ;-)

Maybe the Epson Family or between the rock and the hard place.

These are my experiences. Look anybody can use crap ink. Now it is
even more convenients. Take your carts down to the nearest Walgreens
and they will put something in them at a lower price.

glathrem

These are my experiences. Look anybody can use crap ink. Now it is even
more convenients. Take your carts down to the nearest Walgreens and they
will put something in them at a lower price.

Crap ink? I finally got around to using the ink I got at the dollar store. I
am amazed! It is beautiful! I challenge anyone to tell if its real canon
ink. I can't comment on fading, but as far as color goes, it's great.
Haven't had any clogs yet. The dye black is too thin and needs some
adjustment to compete with canons pigment black. But $3 for all 3 colors
which should refill my carts about 3 times! do the math. If I could just
find the lighter photo ink colors for my HP at the dollar store.

measekite

glathrem wrote:

These are my experiences. Look anybody can use crap ink. Now it is even more convenients. Take your carts down to the nearest Walgreens and they will put something in them at a lower price.

Crap ink? I finally got around to using the ink I got at the dollar store. I am amazed! It is beautiful!

Some guys have fat ugly girl friends.  They think they are beautiful too.

I challenge anyone to tell if its real canon ink. I can't comment on fading, but as far as color goes, it's great. Haven't had any clogs

yet.

The dye black is too thin

O course but it is beautiful

and needs some adjustment to compete with canons pigment black.

Can't compete you get what you pay for

But $3 for all 3 colors which should refill my carts about 3 times! do the math.

Some people want to do math and others want to do photography.

If I could just find the lighter photo ink colors for my HP at the dollar store.