No system sound alerts (sound scheme)

G

Here's a challenge for all grand-geeks out there.

I can't remember when this happened but the windows default sound scheme is not working. I don't get the familiar der der dur der durrrr tune when windows starts and closes, the alert dialogues have no sounds and other programs like messenger and outlook that are listed in the sound scheme tab (control panel -> sound and audio devices -> sounds) have no sound either.

When the sound scheme disappeared the PC's internal speaker beep in place of windows sound scheme but I turned it off.

My drivers are up to date, speakers work, all sounds from other programs like winamp, media player and games etc work. The sound scheme is listed in the tab (control panel -> sound and audio devices -> sounds) and the sounds even play when you press the preview play button. I just don't get them where they should be (alert dialogues and notices).

I've tried to reapply the sound scheme, imported a "restore default system sound scheme" registry key. No joy!

Running XP Pro SP1 with SBLive.

Any answers appreciated.

G

Did you ever get your sound problem resolved? I have a similar problem with my sound scheme also

Ask a Question