"No Symbols loaded"........

R

RDI

What's it mean? My prog runs fine. Then as soon as I press ok or cancel,
the following is what's in the output area of the debugger.

TIA

--

RDI

(remove the exclamation from the email address)

'DefaultDomain': Loaded
'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\mscorlib.dll', No symbols
loaded.
'UstnStart': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Don Ireland\My
Documents\Visual Studio Projects\UstnStart\UstnStart\bin\UstnStart.exe',
Symbols loaded.
'UstnStart.exe': Loaded
'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\s
ystem.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded.
'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No
symbols loaded.
'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.
drawing.dll', No symbols loaded.
'c:\windows\assembly\gac\microsoft.visualbasic\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\
microsoft.visualbasic.dll', No symbols loaded.
'c:\windows\assembly\gac\accessibility\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\accessib
ility.dll', No symbols loaded.
The program '[2332] UstnStart.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

O

One Handed Man

Is this the only project/solution you have the problem with ?, if so, try
rebuilding and making sure that the DEBUG option is set rather than the
RELEASE in the project options.

OHM

A

Armin Zingler

RDI said:
'UstnStart': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Don Ireland\My
Documents\Visual Studio
Projects\UstnStart\UstnStart\bin\UstnStart.exe', Symbols loaded.

I don't see the problem. The line contains "Symbols loaded". The others
contain "no smybols loaded". That's the same here and it has always been
this way. What is missing?

H

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "RDI said:
What's it mean? My prog runs fine. Then as soon as I press ok or cancel,
the following is what's in the output area of the debugger.

Are you running your application in "Release" mode? Then switch to
"Debug" mode (there is a combobox in the toolbar for doing that). I
remember there is a checkbox somewhere in the project options where you
can turn on generation of debug information.

R

RDI

Actually,

I WAS running it in debug mode. The info that I pasted was in the output
area.

I thought that MAYBE this was just information for me and that it wouldn't
really cause a problem--so I went ahead and did the "re-build solution" and
then went to a DOS window (my program takes a filename as a command line
argument) and ran the program passing the filename. Without even putting up
the dialog box, it put up a dialog box titled "Just-In-Time Debugging". I
was offered two "Possible Debuggers": "New Instance of Microsoft CLR
Debugger" or "New Instance of Microsoft Developement Environment".

When I click on "run" while INSIDE Visual Studio .NET, the dialog runs fine.
Then as soon as I press either cancel or OK, the dialog DOES close and then
the text I specified earlier shows up in the output area.

TIA

--

RDI

(remove the exclamation from the email address)

R

RDI

No this is the second project I'm working on. The other once does the same thing.

The other one doesn't actually process anything yet. The only thing it does is initialize the dialog box. While in MSVS.net, I've clicked on "Run" on the debug toolbar. The dialog opens currectly, I can click on all the different controls. When I click on the appropriate controls, the other controls are either disabled or enabled as they are supposed to do.

Once I click on either "OK" or "Cancel", the dialog closes and the following is in the output area. At least with this one, it doesn't bomb out on me (see my reply to Herfried for info on that comment).

Are these "bad" messages? Do they mean that something is wrong? Or do they just mean that things have been cleaned up?

TIA

Results of the OTHER application:

'DefaultDomain': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Don Ireland\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\WindowsApplication4\WindowsApplication4\bin\WindowsApplication4.exe', Symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll',No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\accessibility\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\accessibility.dll', No symbols loaded.
The program '[1664] WindowsApplication4.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

O

One Handed Man

Note that your Application does have symbols loaded so this is your project in 'Debug' mode. Symbols are used for debugging in all programming languages. The DLL's which have no symbols loaded such as the drawing.dll are already debugged and are in release ( They come like this with VS.NET ). So these messagese are fine.

Try setting your Application4 project properties to RELEASE rather than DEBUG and when you build it you will find that you will see the 'No symbols loaded' message.

Regards - OHM

No this is the second project I'm working on. The other once does the same thing.

The other one doesn't actually process anything yet. The only thing it does is initialize the dialog box. While in MSVS.net, I've clicked on "Run" on the debug toolbar. The dialog opens currectly, I can click on all the different controls. When I click on the appropriate controls, the other controls are either disabled or enabled as they are supposed to do.

Once I click on either "OK" or "Cancel", the dialog closes and the following is in the output area. At least with this one, it doesn't bomb out on me (see my reply to Herfried for info on that comment).

Are these "bad" messages? Do they mean that something is wrong? Or do they just mean that things have been cleaned up?

TIA

'DefaultDomain': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Don Ireland\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\WindowsApplication4\WindowsApplication4\bin\WindowsApplication4.exe', Symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll',No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded.
'WindowsApplication4.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\accessibility\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\accessibility.dll', No symbols loaded.

R

RDI

OHM,

Thanks for the assistance. Now I can proceed with confidence. I was worried that there was something wrong.

Don...
Note that your Application does have symbols loaded so this is your project in 'Debug' mode. Symbols are used for debugging in all programming languages. The DLL's which have no symbols loaded such as the drawing.dll are already debugged and are in release ( They come like this with VS.NET ). So these messagese are fine.

Try setting your Application4 project properties to RELEASE rather than DEBUG and when you build it you will find that you will see the 'No symbols loaded' message.

Regards - OHM

TIA

Ask a Question