no response from host / NLB

Ragnar Heil

I want to use NLB for two w2k adv.servers. They are ready configured and can
ping themselves.
my primary-cluster-IP is 172.17.3.21 and "cluster" is mentioned in my DNS
and I can ping "cluster"
- no remote access, no multicast, full internet name pingable, single
affinity, both protocols, multiple hosts in filtering mode
IP of host 1: 172.17.3.17

If I run
WLBS start cluster:172.17.3.17
then it tells me:
access to Cluster 'cluster' (172.17.3.21):
no response from Host 172.17.3.17

any ideas?

Ragnar
PS: error message are translated from German

Curtis Koenig [MSFT]

Hi Ragnar,
It looks like you have the cluster configuration mostly nailed down and
correct. The only configuration setting I don't see specifically is that
you added the cluster IP address to the list of bound IP addresses in
TCP/IP configuration.

Windows NT NLB clustering did this automatically, Windows 2000 does not and
you have to add the virtual IP to the list of bound IP addresses manually.
I think this was done to avoid some problems with some switches seeing
duplicate IP addresses and then NLB did not work.

If this number is added and you do a wlbs query are the 2 hosts converged?
__
Curtis Koenig
Microsoft Clutering Technologies Support
MCSA, MCSAS,MCSE, MCSES

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!