No expanded memory In Win XP Pro on a HP Pavilion notebook

G

I cannot enable expanded memory on my HP Pavilion zd7010us notebook, running Windows XP Pro. I upgraded the BIOS, reinstalled windows, manipulated config.nt (EMM command line, which I don't think XP supports or else I can't figure out the right syntax), I have messed around with the PIF file memory settings for expanded memory and disabled drivers (pcmcia and USB ports) that I thought may be conflicting with UMB. Alas, all to no avail. I have an old DOS spreadsheet program, SuperCalc5, that requires EMS in order to load a spreadsheet over 175KB. I expect it to be a HP hardware problem but I don't know. Any suggestions
Pat

J

Jim Macklin

Get a newer spreadsheet program.

| I cannot enable expanded memory on my HP Pavilion zd7010us
notebook, running Windows XP Pro. I upgraded the BIOS,
reinstalled windows, manipulated config.nt (EMM command
line, which I don't think XP supports or else I can't figure
out the right syntax), I have messed around with the PIF
file memory settings for expanded memory and disabled
drivers (pcmcia and USB ports) that I thought may be
conflicting with UMB. Alas, all to no avail. I have an old
DOS spreadsheet program, SuperCalc5, that requires EMS in
order to load a spreadsheet over 175KB. I expect it to be a
HP hardware problem but I don't know. Any suggestions?
| Pat
|
|
|

A

Alex Nichol

PatHemmingDVM said:
I cannot enable expanded memory on my HP Pavilion zd7010us notebook, running Windows XP Pro. I upgraded the BIOS, reinstalled windows, manipulated config.nt (EMM command line, which I don't think XP supports or else I can't figure out the right syntax),

The line in config.nt is tricky. Overall, I suggest
In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
EMM = B=4000 RAM
(note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
none next to the second =) and

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
(or higher files= if needed)

and in autoexec.nt have

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
that may already be present at the end.

This should give about 612K conventional memory for a program, run from
a shortcut made to its .exe file. R-click the shortcut, Properties and
on the Memory page you can set an explicit value - rather than Auto -
for any EMM or XMS memory it may need, and for initial environment space

G

Dear Mr Hemmin

I have encountered the same problem with a Pavilion zd700ea and explored the helpful tips in this forum regarding config.nt and autoexec.nt - but to no avail. These tips increase conventional memory but expanded (XMS) memory fails to appear.

If the following are correct

http://www.nfbr.org.uk/html/faq3.htm

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/emsxp.htm

the problem arises from a hardware conflict that prevents access to a full page frame (a contiguous 64kb block of upper memory) required for XMS memory. The fact that another XP laptop in my possession gives XMS memory without any need for adjustments does suggest that the problem is hardware specific. HP technical support lacks the necessary knowledge to offer a solution

The suggestion at the web pages cited above is to turn off devices by trial and error until a contiguous 64kb block of upper memory becomes available. The zd7050ea BIOS does not appear to offer this option so I intend to use Windows device manager

Before I start I would very much like to know if you have had any success with your zd7010us

Thanks - Bil

Ask a Question