No BOOT.INI in Vista? How do I add a third partition?

Noozer

What is this BCDEDIT program and why can I not use it? I'm an Administrator,
and the only user on the system, yet I see the following:

C:\Users\Steve>bcdedit
The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
Access is denied.

Microsoft, you've gone through all this trouble to get the world you use
your desktop, then start throwing out DOS (command line) applications. If I
wanted this I'd already be running Linux.

HOW can I add my third partition to the Vista boot menu?

Pierre Szwarc

You need to run your command prompt as administrator. Then the "bcdedit"
command will work (BTW, I really wish someone would slap an UI over that one
<g>)
--
Pierre Szwarc
Paris, France

"Noozer" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de %[email protected]...
| What is this BCDEDIT program and why can I not use it? I'm an
Administrator,
| and the only user on the system, yet I see the following:
|
| C:\Users\Steve>bcdedit
| The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
| Access is denied.
|
| Microsoft, you've gone through all this trouble to get the world you use
| your desktop, then start throwing out DOS (command line) applications. If
| wanted this I'd already be running Linux.
|
| HOW can I add my third partition to the Vista boot menu?

Zack Whittaker

They will :blush:)

--
Zack Whittaker
» ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk

--: Original message follows :--

Noozer

Hrm... My user IS ad Administrator, but I'll give it a try.

Reading through Microsofts website about BCDEdit, I still don't see how to
add another partition to the menu.

Jason

I usually do it via the installation on a freshly formated computer by
deleting all partitions and creating the partitions manually or using 3rd
party programs to create or resize partitions. Such as partition magic.

As far as your user, maybe you have to log in as the accual Administrator
Account and not just an account with Administator rights but I could be
wrong.

--
Jason

Applied but still waiting to be accepted for the Vista Beta Testing group.
Can't wait to be able to play and help make it even better.

http://www.orderpcs4free.com/?r=878

Noozer