Nikon introduces world's first WiFi Digital Camera

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Nikon introduces world's first WiFi Digital Cameras

Nikon has come out with two innovative new digital cameras boasting WiFi capability, world's first!

The performace series P1 and P2 would have following features built-in:

Wireless LAN support (IEEE802.11b/g)
Offering built-in Wireless LAN support (IEEE802.11b/g), the COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 present new potential in the field of compact digital photography and offer unprecedented photographic freedom. Supporting wireless transfer, the COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 are able to transfer pictures from the memory card to a computer at the user’s command. Enabling wireless shooting, both cameras can transfer each individual picture to a computer literally as soon as it is shot. The COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 also offer wireless printing, (requires optional Wireless Printer Adapter), which combines the advantages of wireless transfer and PictBridge direct-printing technology to achieve simple printing of pictures without the inconvenience of cables.

Advanced Scene Modes
Providing users with much closer control over the appearance of the final image, the COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 offer a selection of Advanced Scene Modes in addition to their ample range of conventional Scene Modes. Giving a choice of three different effects (Normal, Effect 1, Effect 2), these Advanced Scene Modes can produce results that match personal preferences more closely.

Aperture-priority Auto Mode
The COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 also come with the advantage of Aperture-priority Auto Mode. Offering 10-step manual control in 1/3EV increments, it lets the user decide depth of field while the camera automatically ensures optimal exposure.

Features for in-camera improvement
The COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 even feature a range of functions that give users the ability to refine images in-camera. Nikon’s unique D-Lighting Function is available in Playback Mode for the correction of images with insufficient flash or excessive backlight. Just select the image you want to improve and D-Lighting creates a copy with automatically added detail and light wherever necessary. Portrait (Face AF) has the unique ability to detect human faces in the shot, providing sharp, appropriate focus, when the subject is facing the camera from a typical portrait distance. There’s also In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, which corrects for the unfortunate red-eye effect that can be caused by flash to make for more pleasing portraits in low light.

High image quality
In addition to offering such an impressive array of capabilities that go beyond the norm, the COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 deliver excellent imaging quality. Equipped with a 1/1.8-inch CCD featuring 8.0 and 5.1 effective megapixels respectively, they offer outstanding resolution that can stand up to significant enlargement. What’s more they are also both equipped with a powerful, high-quality 3.5x Zoom-Nikkor lens, which delivers 36-126mm (35mm equivalent) performance for broad compositional freedom.

PictureProject
The COOLPIX P1 and COOLPIX P2 both come bundled with a complimentary copy of Nikon’s PictureProject software. As well as offering accelerated speed, this latest version of PictureProject also offers support for the Wi-Fi functions of both cameras and includes a handy setup utility as well as intuitive control. It also offers intuitive controls over the various wireless image transfer options and features improved speed and an enhanced set of functions. Whether you are new to digital photography or a seasoned user, PictureProject fulfills your desire by complementing your picture-taking experience with in-computer activities that are fun, easy, and productive. PictureProject software is a convenient tool to help you Transfer, Organize, Edit, Design and Share your images.

Download Brochure of P1/P2

Nikons Press Release for P1 and P2

Link for more pictures of the models at DP review

Attachments

• pic_001.jpg
    pic_001.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 336

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i was wondering why noone had brought something like this a couple of days ago, they must of read my mind ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i was wondering why noone had brought something like this a couple of days ago, they must of read my mind ;)

You thought about it just two days back but Nikon was 2 years ahead of you :D

Here is some information I found to back up my claim.

Making much of digital camera’s connectivity to the network, Nikon released compact digital cameras with easy and quick data transfer functions and developed image transfer technologies in collaboration with FotoNation Inc. and Microsoft. Then, in 2003, Nikon introduced the Wireless Transmitter WT-1, which, attached to the digital SLR D2H, enables wireless image transfer. This was followed in 2004 with the Wireless Transmitter WT-2, which was designed for D2X and realized enhanced security and compatibility with new protocol PTP/IP. With these products, Nikon has been leading wireless image transfer technology, earning the plaudits of the press and of other industries. And now, in order to introduce the wireless transfer function to even more customers, Nikon has released compact digital cameras with built-in Wireless LAN support, offering a new level of excitement in digital photography.

he Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) is not only for professionals or business use. It will be increasingly popular with general consumers. As one of the world leaders of digital imaging, Nikon believes it is significant that it is introducing the world’s first consumer digital still cameras with Wi-Fi support. Nikon's future models will also support Wi-Fi function where appropriate.

As image transfer using Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) gains popularity and the number of compatible products available increase, various additional user benefits can be offered. In addition to image transfer to TV, DVD recorder and photo storage devices, direct image transfer from hotspots in airports and other public spaces, and even wireless image transfer between digital cameras, may become possible. Positioning digital cameras as key network devices, Nikon intends to develop and offer new possibilities for built-in Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) support to entertain customers. Not only wireless image transfer functions, but also other cutting-edge features will be developed to create added value for future products.

Source PHYSORG.COM

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
looks like nikon have some competion in the form of the kodak easyshare

also wasn't sony planning something similar ? i cant remember when but i think i read something about a camera with GPRS to email the pics

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
looks like nikon have some competion in the form of the kodak easyshare

also wasn't sony planning something similar ? i cant remember when but i think i read something about a camera with GPRS to email the pics

Here is some information on the competition as well :)

Kodak

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
WiFi Digital Cameras look like a really good idea, no doubt everything will follow suit soon :) I just hope security improves at the same rate!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

Once they have every conceiveable feature on the Digital Camera there bound to be problems. Pictures going in wrong directions, camera infected with virus, malware, adware. Can you imagine you are trying to take a picture and a popup comes up on the screen? :D

Things sure are getting complicated day by day, or is it that I am getting old? :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, you aren't getting old, I can easily imagine that too! Digital Camera WiFi virus's!

Mobile Phone Virus's are out, who know's what is next... should be interesting anyway :)

Ask a Question