nic and modem trouble

G

Weird stuff: i just got hooked up with a calbe internet provider. They delivered a THOMSON cable modem, which they first tried to connect with my NIC (Realtek 8139/810x Familiy...) it didn't work: the computer can send packets, but can't receive any. Then they connected the modem via the USB interface and everything went smoothely. The decvice manager shows the nic not having any problems, the networking diagnose tool also went OK on it. When I enter the IP provided by the ISP in the LAN connection however, the diagnose tools renders the nic as "failed". What could be the cause?

G

Quite simply it could be a component failure on the NIC

Sometimes a NIC can have problems if installled in the PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot, so try to move it if this is your situation

Device manager will only show if the device has the correct Drivers for Windows: it does not perform a functional or diagnostic test to check for operational status. e.g. If you have a Modem attached: it won't show up an error if the phone line is disconnected

NICs are cheap <$15 so if after reading this, you think you need a new one: just go out to the local PC component shop and buy one.

D

DanB

I had a similar problem and after my cable provider came out and determined
that I had to many components (i.e.; digital tv) connected to one line. They
ran a second line to the house, problem solved running hot and fast. Hope
this helps.

alex said:
Weird stuff: i just got hooked up with a calbe internet provider. They
delivered a THOMSON cable modem, which they first tried to connect with my
NIC (Realtek 8139/810x Familiy...) it didn't work: the computer can send
packets, but can't receive any. Then they connected the modem via the USB
interface and everything went smoothely. The decvice manager shows the nic
not having any problems, the networking diagnose tool also went OK on it.
When I enter the IP provided by the ISP in the LAN connection however, the
diagnose tools renders the nic as "failed". What could be the cause?

Ask a Question