Newsgroup's links don't work in Mail

Since installing RC1 from 5536 my newsgroup links have stopped working in
Windows Mail. Why?
I get a message saying "Click on this link to read the reply" but nothing
happens if I click on it although I can see that the link appears perfectly
correct.
On 5536 the links always worked.

Colin

I now realise that no links in emails I receive do not work - It's not just
newsgroup replies.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Spirefm said:
I now realise that no links in emails I receive do not work - It's not just
newsgroup replies.

Make IE7 your default browser.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

IE7 is already my default browser. I don't use any others.

I've the feeling that there's a setting somewhere that I've missed.

Colin

Steve Cochran

Or right click on the Start button.

Control Panel | Folder Options is also available.

steve

Yes, but there nothing I can see about 'file types' in folder options or is
there? The other day I couldnt see a search box right under my nose.

Colin

In Default Programs/Set Associations NNTP is set as Windows Mail but not URL
HTTP. That has 'unknown program' and apparently can't be changes as no
alternative is offered when the 'Change Program' box is clicked.

Colin

Steve Cochran

Looks like they have screwed this up royally and you can't easily modify
things except via the registry. Dumb asses.

If you have "unknown" then that's probably the problem. Try Control Panel |
Default Programs | set defaults and set IE as default and see if that fixes
it.

steve

No Steve IE isn't in the default programs list and there is no way one can
add programs to the list. Do you know where I might find it in the registry?

Colin

Maybe this is the problem. In IE7/Tools/Advanced the Phishing Filter is
overlaid with a little orange box with an exclamation mark in it and one
cannot change any of the settings. I guess I'll have to wait for Phisherman
programmer to catch up....
Colin

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Spirefm said:
Do you mean 'File Associations' in 'Default Programs' ?

Colin

Yes.
I think Steve forgot it isn't in Windows Explorer in Vista. If he didn't
forget I did.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Spirefm said:
In Default Programs/Set Associations NNTP is set as Windows Mail but not
URL
HTTP. That has 'unknown program' and apparently can't be changes as no
alternative is offered when the 'Change Program' box is clicked.

Colin

In the Control Panel, Start | Programs |Set your default programs (under
Default Programs).
Select Internet Explorer and click Choose defaults for this program. Be
careful about setting the top four if you want to edit those files with
something else.

No Frank. I'd already checked that all the IE defaults were set. Colin
In Microsoft's help site is does suggest that wrong phishing settings could
cause hyperlinks to fail. I think the orange mark is there to show that that
section is still unfinished. However I'll keep looking..........Colin

Steve Cochran

Did you try Control Panel | Internet Options | Programs and at the top there
is the option to make IE default?

steve

It is slightly different there now. The check box says 'Tell me if Internet
Explorer is not the default browser'. I t has always been ticked. The default
settings are in
'Default Programs' which is accesible from the Start or the Control Panel.
All IE settings are at default.
Colin