Newsgroup closing down

Bickford Schmeckler

Yeah, that link has been posted numerouse times.

: Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
: finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
: your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
: to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
: does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
: suggested starting point:
:
: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
:
: Bill Lurie

Steve Hayes

Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
suggested starting point:

This newsgroup will not close down unless people stop writing in it.

So keep it alive by continuing to use it.

William B. Lurie

I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
put in front of it to make it a useful URL?

news.eternal-september.org

Bruce Chambers

William said:
I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
put in front of it to make it a useful URL?

news.eternal-september.org

That's not a URL. URLs (Uniform Resource Locator) are used for
accessing HTTP (Hyper-Text Trandfer Protocol) Internet web pages via a
web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Firefox.

Uniform Resource Locator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator

It's a Usenet Newsgroup NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) Server
address. You'd enter it as such following the instructions for whatever
newsreader application (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Free Agent, Agent,
X-news, etc.) that you use.

Network News Transfer Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nntp

For Thunderbird, which your message headers tell me you're using:

1) Click Tools > Account Settings > Add Account > Newsgroup Account

2) Click <Next>

3) Enter your name & email address; click <Next>

4) Enter "news.eternal-september.org" in the Newsgroup Server field;
click <Next>

5) Either accept the default account name, or enter one of your own;
click <Next>

6) Click <Finish>

7) Make any other customizations or settings that you desire; click <OK>

8) Subscribe to the desired Newsgroups and have fun.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Daave

Bruce said:
[...]

There are actually a few more steps necessary. One needs to register
first! (Then one will have the necessary account name and password.)

In the Server tab, the box next to "This server requires me to log on"
needs to be checked. Then the account name and password need to be
entered. (Or perhaps this is what you mean by customizations and
settings.) More info:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

William B. Lurie

Daave said:
There are actually a few more steps necessary. One needs to register
first! (Then one will have the necessary account name and password.)

In the Server tab, the box next to "This server requires me to log on"
needs to be checked. Then the account name and password need to be
entered. (Or perhaps this is what you mean by customizations and
settings.) More info:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en
I musta done it right, Daave, because I'm up and running over there.

Jose

Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
suggested starting point:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

                   Bill Lurie

If you sign up there, you can get points and everything *giggle*!!!

What is the prize, you reckon?

Hot-text

Why you Close d

All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective
owners
MSFN is not affiliated with Microsoft
Copyright © 2001 - 2010 msfn.org

Steve Hayes

I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
put in front of it to make it a useful URL?

news.eternal-september.org

Its the address of a news server by which you can connect to this newsgroup if
and when Microsoft closes their server.

You enter it in your news reader.