news ticker

Mike

I want to create a news/stock/sport ticker for my desktop. I want to have
the ability to select my news source, (cnn, msnbc, etcs) sport source(espn,
nfl, nba, etc) and my stock source (nasdaq, nyse, etc) then once that
information is selected store it in a XML file, then have my ticker read
that XML file to determine what service to use. I would like this to show
the information for 10 seconds or so (just the headlines) then scroll UP
(not right to left like the TV ones), and allow the user to click the
headline and that will take them to that page with the full story.

Can anyone point me to some examples to get me started?

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Mike,

I would do a search on the web for "RSS reader component .NET" to look
for RSS reader components in .NET (you can use the services offered by IE 7
if you wish). You are going to have to use RSS because a) that is what most
information sites use to publish information and b) you need a uniform
representation among all the different sources.

Once you have that, it should be easy to implement, as all the
information you need is in the RSS feed.

Mike

thats kind of what I'll be using, but I need to give the end user some
"control" so they can pick what they want. My users don't want another app
like outlook express or anything of that nature, they want this information
scrolling their screen even if IE is closed. See whats happening is some of
our uses are downloading these things from sites, (nyse, nasdaq, msnbc, etc)
and they want more information (what users don't) and since we can't
customize their tickers we decided to do our own.
If I have to use RSS feeds thats no big deal. I just need to show the
headlines in a ticker fasion in a new winForm app so it can be on the users
screen all day.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Mike said:
I want to create a news/stock/sport ticker for my desktop. I want to have
the ability to select my news source, (cnn, msnbc, etcs) sport
source(espn, nfl, nba, etc) and my stock source (nasdaq, nyse, etc) then
once that information is selected store it in a XML file, then have my
ticker read that XML file to determine what service to use. I would like
this to show the information for 10 seconds or so (just the headlines)
then scroll UP (not right to left like the TV ones), and allow the user to
click the headline and that will take them to that page with the full
story.

Can anyone point me to some examples to get me started?

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Mike,

You don't have to have IE running in order to use the RSS feeds
functionality. IE7 introduces an API for managing RSS feeds which you can
use so you don't have to implement subscriptions, the storage mechanism for
feeds, the downloading schedule, etc, etc.

The point is to use that API to get the information and manage the
subscriptions in a simple way. Once you have that, the ticker part is easy.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Mike said:
I want to create a news/stock/sport ticker for my desktop. I want to have
the ability to select my news source, (cnn, msnbc, etcs) sport
source(espn, nfl, nba, etc) and my stock source (nasdaq, nyse, etc) then
once that information is selected store it in a XML file, then have my
ticker read that XML file to determine what service to use. I would like
this to show the information for 10 seconds or so (just the headlines)
then scroll UP (not right to left like the TV ones), and allow the user
to click the headline and that will take them to that page with the full
story.

Can anyone point me to some examples to get me started?

Mike

ok, i'll take a look.
I never did any programming on the winForm side of things, everything I do
is 100% web based, from web app to web services, so how would I even get
started in a ticker style form with what I need?

any help is greatly apprecaited.

Nicholas Paldino said:
[...]

You are going to have to take a look at some custom controls, as there
isn't a control out of the box in System.Windows.Forms that is going to have
the kind of scrolling action you want.

However, if you are going to use .NET 3.0, then you can use WPF and
animate a label (or pretty much any other property of any other element)
with a timeline and get the scrolling effect you are looking for.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Mike said:
thats kind of what I'll be using, but I need to give the end user some
"control" so they can pick what they want. My users don't want another
app like outlook express or anything of that nature, they want this
information scrolling their screen even if IE is closed. See whats
happening is some of our uses are downloading these things from sites,
(nyse, nasdaq, msnbc, etc) and they want more information (what users
don't) and since we can't customize their tickers we decided to do our
own.
If I have to use RSS feeds thats no big deal. I just need to show the
headlines in a ticker fasion in a new winForm app so it can be on the
users screen all day.

in message Mike,

[...]

OK,I'll take a look. Isn't .NET 3.0 used for Vista OS's or no?
Will a .NET 3.0 app work on XP Pro (if they have 3.0 framework installed of
course)

Nicholas Paldino said:
[...]

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Mike,

[...]

Yes, .NET 3.0 will work on XP.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

wrote in message Mike,

[...]

ok thanks, I'm going to check it out this afternoon.

Nicholas Paldino said:
Mike,

Yes, .NET 3.0 will work on XP.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

wrote in message Mike,

[...]

clintonG

There are all kinds of desktop "gadgets" and "widgets" that support your
exact requirements. Pull your head out of Microsoft's @ss for a moment
because they are way behind Adobe, Google and Yahoo who have all leaped
forward in this context of desktop applications that get their data using
Internet protocols.

RSS is the XML format being used to syndicate and transport the data so I
have no argument there. These desktop applications I refer to as gadgets,
widgets and so on are developed using JavaScript/AJAX.

I would suggest you start by evaluating Yahoo!'s widgetes [1] as Yahoo! has
earned much respect for the quality and robustness of their JavaScript APIs.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

[1] http://widgets.yahoo.com/

Mike said:
ok thanks, I'm going to check it out this afternoon.

Nicholas Paldino said:
Mike,

Yes, .NET 3.0 will work on XP.

--