Newbie help with ICS and wireless router

Mike

I am trying to set up a home network between two laptops and am
struggling at the moment since this is my first attempt at networking.

The 'main' laptop accesses BT broadband through the standard USB BT
Voyager ADSL modem (so it's plugged into one of the main laptop's USB
ports). Now I would like to be able to run an ethernet cable from this
laptop (which has a fast ethernet adaptor) to a wireless Linksys
router which then allows the second laptop (which has a wireless
network card and is in another room) to access the 'main' laptop's
connection.

I believe this is possible using ICS but at the moment I am struggling
to get the two computers to communicate across the network let alone
share the internet connection. I was told I would have to disable DHCP
on the wireless router but am not sure if I've done this correctly.

If anyone knows how I could solve this problem I would be very
grateful.

Cheers.

Mike

Jerry Polyak

Mike said:
[...]

Connect your modem to the WAN port on the router. Connect your 'main'
laptop to a regular port on the router. Enable DHCP.

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Rick Wintjen

Jerry said:
Connect your modem to the WAN port on the router. Connect your 'main'
laptop to a regular port on the router. Enable DHCP.

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
Unless the router has a USB interface for the modem, that won't work. He
wants to use the router as a WAP, so should connect the main laptop to
the LAN side of the router, and disable DHCP and other router functions,
manually setting the IP addresses on the two laptops to the same subnet.
WEP (or WPA) encryption should be set up, once the connection is
established.

Mike

Jerry,

I agree that this would be the easiest solution but the problem is
that my modem only has a USB port not an ethernet port so I thought it
had to go straight into the main laptop's USB port. I have bought a
USB-Ethernet adaptor but I think such a device can't be stand alone
ie. it has to be have a power source. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Jerry Polyak

Mike said:
Jerry,

I agree that this would be the easiest solution but the problem is
that my modem only has a USB port not an ethernet port so I thought it
had to go straight into the main laptop's USB port. I have bought a
USB-Ethernet adaptor but I think such a device can't be stand alone
ie. it has to be have a power source. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

"Jerry Polyak" <jerrypolyak@NOSPAM_yahoo.com> wrote in message

My bad. Missed the part about the USB... Sorry.

Mike

Thanks very much for the help guys. Got it working fine now. It seems
I was plugging the main laptop into the WAN port of the router and not
the LAN port.

Thanks again.

Mike