new users can't login

stephen.mcgahan

HI folks

I am wondering if anyone can help me out.

I am running a windows 2000 domain with mostly win 2k professional
clients and a few xp clients as well.

My problem is that new users simply can't login. They get the message
which suggests that their password is incorrect, resetting their
password in active directory doesn't make a difference

I have two domain controllers and I have noticed from the directory
service event logs on of the domain controllers that eventid 1083
source ntds replication warning has happened a couple of times, this
doesn't appear in the other domain controllers logs

Has anyone any idea what is causing this and how to resolve it ?

Any help is most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ace Fekay [MVP]

HI folks

I am wondering if anyone can help me out.

I am running a windows 2000 domain with mostly win 2k professional
clients and a few xp clients as well.

My problem is that new users simply can't login. They get the message
which suggests that their password is incorrect, resetting their
password in active directory doesn't make a difference

I have two domain controllers and I have noticed from the directory
service event logs on of the domain controllers that eventid 1083
source ntds replication warning has happened a couple of times, this
doesn't appear in the other domain controllers logs

Has anyone any idea what is causing this and how to resolve it ?

Any help is most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Was a domain controller accidentally removed or did one fail beyond the
ability to bring it back online? If so, was it properly purged out of AD
using the Metadata Cleanup procedure?

Among other things, this is one issue. Here is more valuable pertinent
information that may help:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1083&eventno=919&source=NTDS Replication&phase=1

216498 - HOW TO Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
Controller Demotion:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

216364 - Domain Controller Server Object Not Be Removed After Demotion [ADUC
or NTDSUTIL]:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216364

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Harj

Hi,

I would keep an eye on your domain controllers for any replication
issues that might occur.
Maybe the 1083 have stopped as you rebooted a domain controller but
that would not indicte that the issue is fixed unless we do not receive
anymore errors
FRS, because of the reboot initiated but failed soon afterwards.
Hope things are fine but on the safe side, keep an eye out on the other
DC's

Harj Singh
Power Your Active Directory Investment
www.specopssoft.com

Ace said:
[...]

stephen.mcgahan

I was monitoring it all day today, made several test accounts, all
worked fine

Was the strangest thing I have ever seen!!

Ace said:
[...]

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
I was monitoring it all day today, made several test accounts, all
worked fine

Was the strangest thing I have ever seen!!

Hmm. I suggest to go thru the Metadata cleanup steps just to "see" what
ntdsutil tells you what is out there. Don't change anything, just look.

Ace