New Steam UI Update (Beta atm)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks rather nice i think.... However seems to be a good few issues still. I'm not going to bother just yet.

As of today, a new version of Steam is available through a public opt-in beta, open to all Steam users. This Steam update provides several major upgrades to the platform's core functionality. We've overhauled the Steam user interface to enhance the way you already buy and play games, adding more info about the things that matter — getting games, playing them with friends, and staying current in the gaming world.

If you already have Steam installed on your computer, you can take part in the beta by clicking this link and then selecting "2010 UI Update" under Beta Participation. If you don't have Steam installed, download it today.

Following is a preview of the beta — read on to see what's new. When you're done reading, try out the beta, then head on over to the forums to let us know what you think.
http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks much nicer! I'm going to pass installing it while it's in Beta, as everything is running well for now. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, same here. i really want to try it out, i think it looks great! But it seems its not without its bugs.....

Hmmmm, do i risk it? lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I used to love installing every new beta update of things, but now I'm boring and go for whichever version is most stable - I'm getting old and sensible:lol:

TBH, something like Steam is going to be quite polished for a public beta as they have so many people working on it. Still think I'll wait though :)

Let us know what it's like if you do take the plunge ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, i couldn't resist it any longer! :D

Beta Installed. So far so good, no crashing looks good, no slowness like others have reported. :)

It does look a lot better than the old version, not that i didn't like the old one that is.

2dihw7n.jpg

2echtn6.jpg

okzayb.jpg

2gy5yxw.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ooh, it does look better don't it?

Very nice :)

But I shall wait, like Ian I'm getting old and sensible, I think I got the first twangs of growing up, erm, lemme see, probably at least 2 years ago :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So a week or so one and what do i think of this Beta?

Well in short, Love it! :cool:

Not had a single issue so far, Its not crashed, gone mental or anything. Lucky? Dunno. It updated itself about three times so far so they are clearly working hard on it as the original Steam never updated that frequently.

Bought a game with it (BC2) and it was fine, if anything it was quicker than it normally take with the normal one!

If you want to try it, here's how.... To go back tot the old style, just change it back. :)

dde1ro.jpg

I'm not sure when this comes out of beta BTW.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Been using beta for the better part of 2 weeks, I like it - although i still miss the 'comfort' of the old UI.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Still loving this.

Comes out of beta on Monday. :)

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3726/

After two months in beta and over twenty updates, the Steam Client UI Update is slated to release to all Steam users this coming Monday, April 26th.

We'd like to extend our thanks to all of you who've taken part in improving Steam by participating in the 2010 Steam UI Update beta. You've put the beta through its paces and provided great ideas and feedback.

The beta has been a huge success. The number of you who participated exceeded all our expectations, and so far you've created 25 thousand posts to the beta user forums. As a result of your participation, the Steam team has had the feedback required to make the new Steam client more reliable and useful than ever.

For those of you who've yet to join the beta, it's not too late! By participating now, you'll be updating your system to include our most recent developments. You'll also minimize the amount of content required to download later, once the released version becomes available. And last but not least, you'll be experiencing the future of Steam now, including dozens of new features, bug fixes and general improvements.

Regardless of whether you've chosen to opt into the beta, keep your eye out for the Steam client update on Monday, April 26th, when a brand new Steam is headed your way.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So how are people finding this new look Steam?

I still like it, Much improved. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just got it now and it's much better IMO - really liking it :D

I've just started to play STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl, via Steam. Only about 10 mins in so far :)

Ask a Question