New Sound Card - Creative X-FI Titanium HD

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, I've just installed and now tweaking this new card ever since i got in from work....

OMG, i though the Xtreme Music was good, But the sound quality of this has honestly blown me away! :bow:

Just listening to some music now, i am hearing stuff i have never noticed before. :)

This is the card, though i bought it from Amazon as it was only £150 which is at least a tenner less than anywhere else.

Specs:

2evth1x.jpg

Pics:

XFI_Titanium_1.jpg

XFI_Titanium_2.jpg

XFI_Titanium_3.jpg

XFI_Titanium_4.jpg

XFI_Titanium_5.jpg

XFI_Titanium_6.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a smart looking card :) Amazing to think it costs as much as a decent graphics card though!

Do you mainly use your headphones with it, or have you got a good speaker setup?

I just read the description and spotted this:

Personalize your sound with upgradeable components

For the discerning music listener, you can personalize your listening experience with the swappable OP-amp sockets on the sound card to tailor sound to the way you want it.

Have you tried that yet :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have the Acoustic Energy Aego M Speaker system. which is very good and sounds awesome!

Also have the Sennheiser PC350 Headset. Both sound very good via the card, am impressed. :)

The Op Amp swapping is something that is totally new to me, after reading about it seems they also need to 'burn in' like speakers to, which i didn't know. So the sound should get even better over time.

This part of the review from Hard OCP gives a good explanation of what is involved. :)

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/25/sound_blaster_xfi_titanium_hd_card_review/6

ASUS, Auzentech, HTOmega, and now Creative all have sound cards with "audiophile grade components" that users can customize by themselves. This is achieved by changing the Op Amps located on the sound card. Op Amps is short for operational amplifier and these are what give sound cards and other amplifiers or audio devices their different sound characters.

Auzentech lists a more technical definition for what an OPAMP does for its sound cards: "The quality of the Operational Amplifier (OPAMP) influences analog sound quality, because OPAMPs amplify the analog signal in your soundcard. With a higher quality OPAMP, the signal is transferred with less loss and distortion." On the Titanium HD product box, Creative states that users can "personalize the sound field experience."

Opinions on which OPAMP users should upgrade and possible choices for their replacement vary greatly depending on which audio forum or online purchase site you visit. Some audiophiles claim that one type of OPAMP will give more of a "warm, tube-like" sound to the audio being reproduced while another will make it sound very metallic and sterile.

Over time, they tend to "burn in" and give a better sound but the wait is worth it. Since these can easily be changed, you can change one of the four on the Creative card, or all four of them without issue. We used a simple bios chip puller or PLCC extraction tool that Radio Shack and others usually have if you look for it in stores or online sites. The only caution needed is that a user must match the pins and direction of the replacement exactly as the original, not upside down or forced.

The cost of replacement Op Amps varies, but the ones we found in various web searches ranged from 10 to 60 dollars each. We highlighted the Op Amps on the card to show that they are not in a daunting or impossible location to change. If Creative wishes to offer the swappable Op Amps as a selling point of its card, it should offer documentation and upgrade pricing from a trusted third party seller of suitable Op Amps for its card. Proper documentation for how to change these should be on a flyer enclosed with the sound card or easily available on the web.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

For $60 a pop I'd just stick with the standard Op Amp! Although it's good that it can be changed over if needs be.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks good V_R, I wonder how my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude compares, that cost £150.00 quite some time ago.

Glad you're sorted now :thumb:

As for the op-amps, just get the chip numbers and buy them probably a lot cheaper from any semiconductor supplier such as RS; Farnell/CPC or Cricklewood Electronics.

Reaction score
very nice , but no one likes a show off ...... lol

your case is quite dusty too.

:D

Ask a Question