A personal breakthrough!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have just had a ' oh god what have i been doing all this time' moment.

I have been using my Logitech Z5500 for quite some time now. And I have been using the headphone jack on them for my Sennheiser 280HD.

I thought it was adequate.

I thought it sounded fine.

I was a fool.

Only now have I learned, from reading about higher quality headphones, that proper amps are needed to get the most out of your cans. Upon reading about this I searched high and low to see if the speakers could provide proper amps to headphones. They could not.

Then I searched to see if my Xfi titanium was capable, and after some searching it seems they are. And thus I decided to 'test' to see if there was any discernible difference.

A. Whole. New. Experience.
I was lost for words. Music ive heard tons of times with my headphones suddenly revealed new details that I never caught before. It was like I was listening to a whole new song! Everything was cleaner.

As cliched as is sounds, I think this fits under the 'hearing things ive never heard before' experience. Something that only has happened before when i got my first sound card (Creative Soundblaster Live!).

I have to say, Im really, REALLY excited to start listening to my music again. :D
This is one of those things you dont really think about, and rarely gets asked. I didnt know headphones needed a amp. I suppose if the music sounds fine to you, then why fix it? But with a little knowledge you can experience music like never before.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Auzentech Prelude with Corsair SP2200 2.1 loudspeaker setup and Sennheisser cordless HDR160 headphones here and yes, I well remember the first time I heard music and played games using that setup, it was a revelation.

My headphones connect directly to the sound card op-amps via a front mounted headphone socket connected to an internal on card connector.

Pleased your ears are having a treat Mr Alf :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have the Sennheisser cordless HDR110's and there is a remarkable difference in quality over the PC as opposed to plugging them into my Pioneer Amp!

Enjoy your new ears Alf..:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Alf,

Not sure if you have read my headphone reviews but, yes, headphone amps do make a huge difference and in most cases if the quality of headphones is high it is a kind of a revelation.

Whenever I do music reviews it has to go through my headphones before I finalize it for publication.

You might want to check these reviews out which prominently features the headphone amplifier.

http://www.epinions.com/review/SENNHEISER_HD600_Corded_Headphones_Headphones/content_299449880196

http://www.epinions.com/review/Denon_PMA_S10_Amplifier/content_187985727108

:dance::dance::dance:

Ask a Question