New program launching freeware

Dos-Man

Greetings freeware mongers.

ShellWait is a simple, convenient, and highly specialized freeware program launcher.

It runs up to six programs, and it runs them one at a time, waiting
for each program to terminate before running the next one.

This is a simple application consisting of one main window, six
numbered edit fields, a menu with just a couple of items, and a
Browse dialog box for easy navigation to the programs you want to run.

There is no install or uninstall for this program. No run-times are needed
It does not access any files or the system registry.

http://www.bee.net/prime-time/shellwait.zip

I realize that most here have no need for an application like this because
they can just use AutoIt. I just recently got AutoIt to finally install
successfully so it's doubtful that I will be making any more updates to this
program (nor can I think of anything else that needs to be added.)

So I figured I would make this available here for a few weeks to any that
might want it. It won't be available long, it'll be retired straight away.
My guess is this program might come in handy for a select few who have to jump
from one computer to the next and don't have time or authorization to install AutoIt
or some fancy-schmancy launcher on a number of machines.

dos-man
(author)

Author of PSassano's Legacy Pad text editor

Klaatu

I realize that most here have no need for an application like this
because they can just use AutoIt. I just recently got AutoIt to
finally install successfully
[snip]

Strange, because AutoIt does not have to be installed at all to use. While
it's true there is a package of the current version that has an installer,
the site also offers another package of the same version that can just be
unzipped to any folder and work that way.

Dos-Man

Klaatu said:
I realize that most here have no need for an application like this
because they can just use AutoIt. I just recently got AutoIt to
finally install successfully
[snip]

Strange, because AutoIt does not have to be installed at all to use. While
it's true there is a package of the current version that has an installer,
the site also offers another package of the same version that can just be
unzipped to any folder and work that way.

THe error message I was getting was telling me to go to MS site and
download an installer pack or something of that nature.
No link was given. And I am not big on downloading stuff from MS.

dos-man

Klaatu

Klaatu said:
I realize that most here have no need for an application like this
because they can just use AutoIt. I just recently got AutoIt to
finally install successfully
[snip]

Strange, because AutoIt does not have to be installed at all to use.
While it's true there is a package of the current version that has an
installer, the site also offers another package of the same version
that can just be unzipped to any folder and work that way.

THe error message I was getting was telling me to go to MS site and
download an installer pack or something of that nature.
No link was given. And I am not big on downloading stuff from MS.

I hear ya there.

All I'm saying is that the "no-install" version most likely would have
allowed you to avoid that.

Steven Burn

Bjorn Simonsen said:
A few weeks? Or just a couple of days? 404 Not Found :)

Think it might have something to do with his other post

Subject: Coming out with Shareware greatest hits CD
Date: 17 Mar 2004 09:22:35 -0800

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Dos-Man

Bjorn Simonsen said:
I see. Thank you.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Correct. My original post on ShellWait came and went without much
discussion so I figured all who would download it had done so.
However, I will certainly post it for another couple of days so that
Bjorn can grab a copy of it. No harm in that! Just ftp'd it...

Dos-Man wrote in said:
Correct. My original post on ShellWait came and went without much
discussion so I figured all who would download it had done so.
However, I will certainly post it for another couple of days so that
Bjorn can grab a copy of it. No harm in that! Just ftp'd it...

http://www.bee.net/prime-time/shellwait.zip

Thank you - got it :)

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Dos-Man

Bjorn Simonsen said:
Thank you - got it :)

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

I gave it some thought last night, and I decided that I have spent
enough
time on this app to justify doing something else to it so that it will
be
more useful to me. I decided that if I could make it time how long
the applications take to complete, it will certainly come in handy
at a later date for performance comparisons.

It wasn't easy, but in the end, it worked. I wish I would have had
this
last year when I was restructuring my scripting language, but I
digress.
Here is the link again to the new update.

http://www.bee.net/prime-time/shellwait.zip

Bear in mind that the times reported will not be accurate for console
programs. The reason is because the timer stops when the
console window closes, and not when the program actually finished.
That's OK. I've got a console timer from MS already. Those are
common.
Anyone can write one.

I'll leave this up until next Monday. This should be ample time for
anyone
to download it. I have no idea what percentage of the people in here
download the stuff that I post, and I don't really care.

dos-man

Bjorn Simonsen

Dos-Man wrote in said:
I gave it some thought last night, and I decided that I have spent
enough time on this app to justify doing something else to it so
that it will be more useful to me. I decided that if I could make
it time how long the applications take to complete, it will
certainly come in handy at a later date for performance comparisons.

Thanks. Timer makes it more useful I think, although I am not sure
what use I will make of it yet. Just tried it with the new timer,
nothing fancy - just had it load my text editor multiple times -
timing it, just to see if/how it works. And it does, works just fine
it seem.:) Just like calling (shelling out from) a batch from inside
another batch, where the called batch executes and the original waits
and continues only when the called one has finished. As said, not sure
to what use I will put your shellwait to yet, with our without the
timer (no instant needs), but it strikes me as one of those apps that
will come in handy one day, also since it is so small it will fit on a
floppy. Btw I noticed the readme you have put in there along side it,
nice. So - a handy addition to my toolchest I guess. Thank you. :)

Btw: I see no "no-distro" clause or anything like that in it, so I
take it that means you have no objection if anyone should decide to
host a copy of it in the future?

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Dos-Man

Bjorn Simonsen said:
Dos-Man wrote in <[email protected]>:

Btw: I see no "no-distro" clause or anything like that in it, so I
take it that means you have no objection if anyone should decide to
host a copy of it in the future?

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Not really. I generally don't mind people hosting stuff I write.
The exception is the really large sites (zdnet, downloads.com).
I stand against their arrogance. I would promptly e-mail them
and ask to remove any of my applications from their listings.

Having said that, there are a few big sites that I don't mind.
Webattack, nonags, and winsite are all ok.

dos-man